Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Linker problem with ICC 10.1.021 for windows

roland_tomasi
Beginner

Hi,

when I create an MFC application project in Visual Studio 2008 and then try to build the project targetting the x64 platform everything seems to compile without error, however during the link phase I get this error message:

"ipo: error #11035: Fatal error cannot open bufferoverflowu"

This happens even for Debug builds where no ipo is selected. Please note that this behaviour is easy to reproduce, just create a standard MFC application project using the wizard and add the x64 platform.

I already filed an issue to premier support about this, however I don't seem to get an answer...

I'm working on Vista x64. Anyone knows a workaround for this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I'm somewhat surprised that the search tool doesn't turn up previous forum posts on this topic. You should check that your ICL compilation uses the flag /Qvc9 (this should be set in icl.cfg). Sometimes, people have an older flag set from before they adopted VS2008.
If the problem is the same with VC9 as with ICL, submitting a Premier issue won't be very helpful.
If you direct your search engine toward MSDN, you will see a lot of chatter on this topic, which may or may not be helpful. It does point out that you should arrange not to call out bufferoverflowu in your code, unless running with Microsoft versions which specifically support it.
At one time, we had to set /link /nodefaultlib:bufferoverflowu because of a stale Intel library build; I haven't heard of that recurring with 64-bit ICL.
0 Kudos
roland_tomasi
Beginner

You should check that your ICL compilation uses the flag /Qvc9 (this should be set in icl.cfg). Sometimes, people have an older flag set from before they adopted VS2008.
If the problem is the same with VC9 as with ICL, submitting a Premier issue won't be very helpful.

Well it's on a completely new installed machine. Everything (Vista, VS2008, and ICC 10.1.021) was isntalled two days ago, so it cannot be mixed up with any installation dating from before I adopted VS2008. When I use the Microsoft compiler instead of Intels everything builds just fine. (Btw, I checked, /Qvc9 is set in my icl.cfg)

If you direct your search engine toward MSDN, you will see a lot of chatter on this topic, which may or may not be helpful. It does point out that you should arrange not to call out bufferoverflowu in your code, unless running with Microsoft versions which specifically support it.

I do not call bufferoverflowu in my code, simply because there is no "my code": The error happens with anything that the Application Wizard from VS2008 creates, so no coding done by me at that point.

At one time, we had to set /link /nodefaultlib:bufferoverflowu because of a stale Intel library build; I haven't heard of that recurring with 64-bit ICL.

This really saved my day! Indeed, specifying /nodefaultlib:bufferoverflowu does solve the problem: everything builds fine now. Thanks alot!

0 Kudos
roland_tomasi
Beginner

Meh. /nodefaultlib:bufferoverflowu does help, but not in every scenario it seems...

I'm building a solution which contains one executable and about 10 DLLs. Most of the projects in that solution build fine with /nodefaultlib:bufferoverflowu, some don't. Most interestingly, those that fail to build are mostly ones thatare almostpure resource DLLs (no code, except for the CWinApp which comes from app-wizard).

0 Kudos
roland_tomasi
Beginner

Update: Projects with ipo fail to build in any case fore me. Projects without ipo build well when I specify /NODEFAULTLIB:bufferoverflowu but fail to build without doing so.

In the meantime I got a reply from premier support. Apparently the problem cannot be reproduced on XP. Seems like to only happen on Vista x64 or even worse, only on my machineSad smiley [:(] .

0 Kudos
roland_tomasi
Beginner

I found this http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=58340in the fortran compiler forums. Basically I think this is the same bug as what I am experiencing (I use a german version of VS2008 aswell).

0 Kudos