Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Linking error with Intel C++ 7.1/MS VS .Net 2003

k-man
Beginner
While trying the optimisation features of the Intel C++ 7.1 Compiler Trial on my smaller projects with great success (your compiler really rocks!) I've got problems with a bigger project.
MS Vs .Net 2003 compiles and links without problems.
But Intel 7.1 throws errors while linking the project:

IPO: performing multi-file optimizations
IPO Error: unresolved : ?SerializeElements@@YGXAAVCArchive@@PAV?$CStringT@DV?$StrTraitMFC@DV?$ChTraitsCRT@D@ATL@@@@@ATL@@H@Z
Referenced in 10803.obj
IPO Error: unresolved : _main
Referenced in libcmt.lib(crt0.obj)
IPO Error: unresolved : ___ImageBase
Referenced in atls.lib(atlbase.obj)

I tried a couple of different optimisation settings but always end up with that linking error.
I suspect it to be somehow MFC related. My smaller (working projects) don't use MFC.

Is there any work around or something?

Best Reagrds,

David Jones

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JenniferJ
This seems like a DLL mismatch issue.

Did you see the "-Qvc7.1" is used? Check it to be sure it's not "-Qvc7".

If still not work, try to compile your whole application including DLLs.

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
k-man
Beginner
thanx for your reply.
i figured out the -Qvc7.1 already.
it fixes the

IPO Error: unresolved : ?SerializeElements@@YGXAAVCArchive@@PAV?$CStringT@DV?$StrTraitMFC@DV?$ChTraitsCRT@D@ATL@@@@@ATL@@H@Z

but the other 2 unresolved externals are still there.
odd enough the linker links the exe and it works without problems.

anyways, the linker gives a warning about multiple .rdata sections with different attributes. which i guess is caused by /merge: ATL=.rdata (which i didn't set, the compiler does this automagically, compiling out of the .net ide). the application isn't using ATL, does use MFC, though. any ideas on this?

best regards,

k-man
0 Kudos
k-man
Beginner
nafxcw.lib(objcore.obj) : warning LNK4078: multiple 'ATL' sections found with different attributes (40301040)
LINK : warning LNK4078: multiple '.rdata' sections found with different attributes (C0000040)

are the exact warnings. repeating the latter one a couple of hundred times. once for every .obj?

david jones
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Hi, K-man:
There's a tracker similar to this (unresolved symbols) has been submitted. It would be better for you to submit your case to Premier Support so you'll be informed of the fix later.

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Just how are you supposed to register for Premier Support? I just wasted half an hour trying. The web registration process basically treats me like an enemy agent. For example, it won't accept the password it just emailed me.

All I was trying to do was find out if there is a service pack to fix all the /MD link errors with 7.1 when used with VC++ 7.1.

If not, are there any plans afloat for some kind of workaround?

--Beman Dawes
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Hello,
The "Crelnotes.htm" contains all the information about registration and support. If you've got any problem, you can send an email to "developer.support@intel.com" with detailed description of your problem. Someone will help you quickly.

After registering to Premier Support, you should be able to download the latest package and try if the problem has been resolved. Also Premier Support website contains lots of TTI(top technical issues), FAQs. So it's always a good idea to register.

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
tomasen
Beginner
> nafxcw.lib(objcore.obj) : warning LNK4078: multiple
> 'ATL' sections found with different attributes
> (40301040)
> LINK : warning LNK4078: multiple '.rdata' sections
> found with different attributes (C0000040)
>
> are the exact warnings. repeating the latter one a
> couple of hundred times. once for every .obj?
>
> david jones

I meet exactly same problem when link mfc project that using atl class. Any news?
0 Kudos
k-man
Beginner
if that question was directed at me:
no, no news.
trial time is over.
compiler doesn't meet my needs at the moment.
(i.e. compiling the sources that ms vc++ compiles without problems)

i for my part wait for the 7.2 trial or whatever is next and see if there's any change to the better.

regards,

david jones
0 Kudos