Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Linking fine with Parallel studie 2013SP1 failed with cluster xe 2015 beta

pierredaye
Beginner

Hello,

We decided to evaluate the beta version of cluster studio xe 2015. Thus, I downloaded the tar file, installed it and everything went fine. Then I tried to compile (and link) a piece of code that I was using previously without any trouble. I use icpc to compile the different objects of my project then I link my project into an executable. The SAME linking command works under the 2013 noon-commercial edition but fails with the 2015 cluster. The compiler doesn't seem to find my objects. It is complaining that functions inside the objects are not referenced. At first, I thought I made a mistake than I test the same linking command on another machine (that still has the 2013 version) and it works just fine...

It seems that something is not right with the 2015 compiler...

Pierre

PS: Tested under RHEL 6.5 and under Ubuntu...

0 Kudos
12 Replies
pierredaye
Beginner

I just downloaded the cluster XE 2013 evaluation and everything works fine...

Pierre

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

Would you be able to upload an example so we can reproduce and debug the problem? It's also possible to upload confidentially.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Pierre,

Like Melanie said, you can attach the preprocessed file (using -P option) to the issue or you can send it separately as a private post and we can take a look at the issue. . Or you can attach a small test case that can reproduce the problem as well? Let us know if you have any issues in attaching the file - thanks

_kittur

0 Kudos
pierredaye
Beginner

Hello,

I'll do a zip file and will upload it confidentially soon.

Pi-r

0 Kudos
pierredaye
Beginner

Hello,

Do you have an email address where I could send the source files and some comments?

Thanks,

Pierre

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You could use your support account at premier.intel.com (use https://registrationcenter.com to create the support acct if you didn't do it before).  Otherwise you would have to wait for someone (e.g. Kittur) to send you an email to which you could respond.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Pierre,  I sent you a message offline and have given you my email address too so you can send me the file accordingly and I'll try to reproduce and file the issue with the developers, appreciate much.

BTW,  Tim's suggestion (Thanks Tim!) is also a very noteworthy one to open a Premier Support account (which is also a very good means of filing issues against the product) and communicating with the compiler support engineers accordingly. You can also attach files etc., to the issue in Premier, fyi.

Thanks, Kittur

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

HI Pierre,

I sent you an email offline requesting further input. Appreciate if you could respond or let me know if you didn't receive so I can resend, thanks.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

HI Pierre,

1) I was able to build the application (make mpi) and was able to create the mpi and mic executables using all the following versions:

-> 2013 version as well as 2015 Beta, and 2015 Beta Update 1 versions as well.  I could not reproduce the issue. I'll  chat with you offline through email as well and give you more details.

Thanks, Kittur

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Pierre, I've responded to you offline as well. Try downloading the latest 2015 Beta Update 1, install it and make sure you source the environment files from the correctly installed directory of the package and see if it works fine. I suspect there could be some user config error probably as it works fine for me on both RH EL as well as Ubuntu systems with GCC 4.4, GCC 4.8 versions as well with ICC from cluster 2013, 2015 Beta and 2015 Beta update 1 accordingly.

Regards, 
Kittur

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

HI Pierre,

Thanks for your response offline that you'll await for the full product release and to close this thread for now accordingly, appreciate much.

Regards, Kittur 

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hey Kittur,  

> As I guess you would like it, here is an update for my problem. I installed the demo version of 2015 and the code compiles perfectly. Thanks again for your time  

>Pi-r

Hi Pierre,

That's great news! Glad to know the issue was resolved with the 2015 release. I thought that would be the case as I could compile your test case successfully as mentioned to you earlier. Again, appreciate your patience through this and for letting us know.

_Cheers, Kittur 

0 Kudos