Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Linux-4.6+ kernel compilation - compiles but black screen / doesn't boot

jordan_j_1
Beginner
Hi, I decided to have a whirl at compiling the linux kernel (specifically, linux-4.7.3) and while I was able to get the kernel to compile, it doesn't boot and/or I am left with a blank screen/ (no boot console, as one would expect to see)... I can't currently putty/ssh into the machine to see if it is just a blank screen or doesn't boot... Previously, in older version of the Intel compiler, I remember a wrapper script being required, however, this post; https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/600493 ... seems to indicate that that is no longer needed, but discusses linux 3.18, which is fairly old... As I said, i was able to get the kernel to compile (well, after disabling kvm), but beyond that; it doesn't seem to work. I'm curious if anyone is using icc to compile linux-4.6+ and has a working kernel? ... I can recompile and capture the entire log from the build. if that is needed (?). There were warning during the build, but afaict, just the typical stuff, like icc not supporting certain gcc flags andor replacing them...nothing stuck out as being problematic / the build was successful... thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jordan_j_1
Beginner
I went ahead and built the kernel again with icc. but this time I built linux-4.6.7 (with preempt-rt). It compiles, but the end result is the same as 4.7.3, the kernel does not boot... It just hangs after grub/bootloader. I've attached the full output from the build. note: it is a rather big text file @ 64mb... Currently, I am not sure why the kernel will not boot, since it doesn't even get to the console / display any errors.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

what version of ICC are you using? is it from Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 for Linux? Are you building for IA32 or x64?

Jennifer

0 Kudos
jordan_j_1
Beginner
hey Jennifer, Yes, it is Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 for Linux / 64bit. [ninez@nine7x ~]$ icc -V Intel(R) C Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 17.0.0.098 Build 20160721 Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. [ninez@nine7x ~]$ uname -a Linux nine7x 4.6.7-rt13-1-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Sep 22 23:25:08 EDT 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux ***This is my running kernel, but I have created a source package for the same kernel to use with icc, called; linux-rt_icc. this way I can test the same kernel without having to replace my running kernel... and I am building 64bit Linux kernel.
0 Kudos
jordan_j_1
Beginner
any update on this, Jennifer? I think we have established what version of icc, linux kernel version and that I am compiling for x86_64. I can also provide sources or I could do a 'localmodconfig' to reduce the log/output? ... I've still had no luck. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Henry_R_1
Beginner

Hello, any update on this? I can't compile Linux Kernel 4.16-rc4:
https://bpaste.net/show/721802f8c280

0 Kudos