Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Linux Composer XE 2013 compile error: ": internal error: backend signals

albl500
Beginner

I've seen a couple of old posts that indicate that this error message is because of a compiler bug, rather than a bug in the code that is being compiled:-

": internal error: backend signals
compilation aborted for ... (code 4)

I've seen this message quite a few times since upgrading to Composer XE version 13.0.1, so thought that I'd submit a test case.. Currently trying to compile a Debug version of Inkscape from bzr:lp/inkscape. The compile command that fails, and all output:-

/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/bin/intel64/icpc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DPOTRACE=\"potrace\" -DORBIT2=1 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_CAIRO_PDF=1 -DHAVE_TR1_UNORDERED_SET -xHost -fPIC -march=corei7 -g -I/usr/local/src/inkscape/build/src -I/usr/local/src/inkscape/src -I/usr/local/src/inkscape/src/bind/javainc -I/usr/local/src/inkscape/src/bind/javainc/linux -I/usr/local/src/inkscape -I/usr/local/src/inkscape/build/include -I/usr/include/gsl -I/usr/include/gc -I/usr/include/poppler -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/gdkmm-2.4 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdkmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/glibmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glibmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtkmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/atkmm-1.6 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/pangomm-1.4 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pangomm-1.4/include -I/usr/include/cairomm-1.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cairomm-1.0/include -I/usr/include/giomm-2.4 -I/usr/include/sigc++-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sigc++-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/gtkspell-2.0 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/ImageMagick -o CMakeFiles/inkscape_LIB.dir/extension/execution-env.cpp.o -c /usr/local/src/inkscape/src/extension/execution-env.cpp
/usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/property.h(107): warning #1098: the qualifier on this friend declaration is ignored
    friend void Glib::custom_get_property_callback(GObject* object, unsigned int property_id,
                ^

/usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/property.h(110): warning #1098: the qualifier on this friend declaration is ignored
    friend void Glib::custom_set_property_callback(GObject* object, unsigned int property_id,
                ^

": internal error: backend signals

compilation aborted for /usr/local/src/inkscape/src/extension/execution-env.cpp (code 4)

I attach the source file and preprocessed source file (the latter is large - 4.7MB; created by adding "-P" option to above command, and stripping empty lines with `sed`) which lead to this error.

The first time I came across this error was when compiling BLAST+-2.2.27. I got past errors in that by reducing the optimisation from "-O3" to "-O2", and/or removing the '-ip' flag from compile commands which failed. That's not an option with this inkscape debug build, which isn't using any compile-time optimisation flags. Removing "-xHost" and "-march=corei7" makes no difference; neither does adding any optimisation flags ("-O[23]" and / or "-ip" ).

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Include file missing, so can't compile the .cpp Your pre-processed file seems to require a g++ of at least version 4.6 on PATH. I do see the internal error with icpc (but not g++), with g++ 4.8 on PATH.
0 Kudos
albl500
Beginner
I've got gcc 4.7.2, which works too. Kind of wish I hadn't uninstalled Composer XE 2011; I don't know if that would compile this successfully..
0 Kudos
albl500
Beginner
Strange.. If I preprocess with the "-E" option, I can then compile it, no problem, throwing any optimisation flags I like at it:- [bash]icpc [-O3 -xHost -march=corei7 -fPIC] -c execution-env.cpp.o.i[/bash]
0 Kudos
albl500
Beginner
Oh, I got it. The "-P" flag was working just now too :-\ Adding the "-g" flag reproduces the error..
0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel
I was able to reproduce the error. I will give you an update as soon as I found the root cause for it. Thanks, Alex
0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel
I submitted a ticket to our internal issue tracking system. The reference number is; DPD200307742. This is not a regression. So the Composer XE 2011 shows the same error. Thanks for submitting the issue including a reproducer! I will update the thread as soon as a fix is available. Alex
0 Kudos
albl500
Beginner
Cool, thanks. I look forward to the updates! Cheers, Alex
0 Kudos
bernaske
New Contributor I
Hi , ok i have recompile the execution-env.cpp with Intel ParallelStudio XE 2013 under Linux only what i became is following: icpc: error #10236: File not found: 'execution-env.cpp.o.i' execution-env.cpp(11): catastrophic error: cannot open source file "config.h" #include and the compile process was halted cheers Franz
0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel
Franz, you also need an GCC 4.6 in path. What command did you exactly use to compile the file? Thanks, Alex
0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel

Hi,

the issue is fixed in the latest version of the Compiler. Please download an update from the Intel Registrationcenter

Thanks for submitting the issue!
Alex 

0 Kudos