Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7957 Discussions

MacOS Big Sur : impossible to compile with a C++ code with Intel compiler

chris6
Beginner

Hello,

I have just migrated from Catalina to Big Sur and I have issues when compiling a simple C++ code with Intel icpc compiler (version 2020 Update 4).

With brew's GNU version g++-4.9, it doesn't work also but compiles fine with brew's g++-6 and g++-10 even if some  warning could produce wrong results in the codes.

Before the Big Sure update, I had no problems with icpc on Catalina.

For intel, I thought that installing CTL (Command Tools line) version 11 would be sufficient but this is not the case : indeed, it is misssing the package Headers .pkg in CTL version 11 : how can I do without these Headers now ?

For the instant, I get these errors :

icpc -std=c++11 -O3 -xHost -qopenmp -Wall -c -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.301/mac/mkl/include -I/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1 -mkl=parallel main.cpp -o main.o
In file included from /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/math.h(311),
                 from /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.301/mac/compiler/include/math.h(177),
                 from /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/cmath(304),
                 from TSAF.h(1),
                 from main.cpp(1):
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/type_traits(903 error: type name is not allowed
      __is_function(_Tp)
                    ^

In file included from /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/math.h(311),
                 from /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.301/mac/compiler/include/math.h(177),
                 from /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/cmath(304),
                 from TSAF.h(1),
                 from main.cpp(1):
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/type_traits(903 error: identifier "__is_function" is undefined
      __is_function(_Tp)
      ^

In file included from TSAF.h(2),
                 from main.cpp(1):
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/type_traits(903 error: type name is not allowed
      __is_function(_Tp)
                    ^
          detected during:
            instantiation of class "std::__1::is_function<_Tp> [with _Tp=long long ****************************************************************************************************]" at line 1360
            instantiation of class "std::__1::__decay<_Up, true> [with _Up=long long ****************************************************************************************************]" at line 1373
            instantiation of class "std::__1::decay<_Tp> [with _Tp=long long ****************************************************************************************************]" at line 2119
            instantiation of class "std::__1::common_type<_Tp, _Up> [with _Tp=long long ****************************************************************************************************, _Up=long long ****************************************************************************************************]" at line 2118
            instantiation of class "std::__1::common_type<_Tp, _Up> [with _Tp=long long ***************************************************************************************************, _Up=long long ***************************************************************************************************]" at line 2118
            [ 97 instantiation contexts not shown ]
            instantiation of class "std::__1::common_type<_Tp, _Up> [with _Tp=long long *, _Up=long long *]" at line 2118
            instantiation of class "std::__1::common_type<_Tp, _Up> [with _Tp=long long, _Up=long long]" at line 874 of "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/chrono"
            instantiation of class "std::__1::common_type<std::__1::chrono::duration<_Rep1, _Period1>, std::__1::chrono::duration<_Rep2, _Period2>> [with _Rep1=long long, _Period1=std::__1::micro, _Rep2=long long, _Period2=std::__1::micro]" at line 2112
            instantiation of class "std::__1::common_type<_Tp> [with _Tp=std::__1::chrono::duration<long long, std::__1::micro>]" at line 1101 of "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/chrono"
            instantiation of class "std::__1::chrono::duration<_Rep, _Period> [with _Rep=long long, _Period=std::__1::micro]" at line 1575 of "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/chrono"

In file included from TSAF.h(2),
                 from main.cpp(1):
      __is_function(_Tp)

If someone could give me any track/clue in this issue of Intel compilation.

Why the Headers .pkg doesn't appear anymore with Command Tool Lines of last Package for Big Sur (version released the 14th December 2020) ?

How could I circumevent this issue ?

Any help is welcome

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GouthamK_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

As your having issue with macOS, we are escalating this thread to the concerned internal team who will further guide you.

Have a Good day.

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

IPSXE2020 Update 4 doesn't support Big Sur. You can see from

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-compilers-compatibility-with-microsoft-visual-studio-and-xcode.html

However, Intel C++ compiler in OneAPI HPC toolkit supports it. You can download from

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/hpc-toolkit.html

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Please use oneAPI HPC toolkit. We are closing this thread. If you have any other issues, please open a new thread.

Thanks,

0 Kudos