Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Missing C++11 <thread> support using Composer XE with Visual Studio 2008 or 2010

Mark_P_2
Beginner

I recently learned that C+11 <thread> support doesn't exist when using Intel Composer XE with versions of Visual Studio before 2012.  I am posting this note for informational purposes.

Here is the message I received from Intel Premier Support:

Mark,

Sorry for delay. I misunderstood your request. You were asking about the new <thread> support in C++11.
With Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 we support all Microsoft implemented C++11 features; in all other cases you need to specify /Qstd=c++11. However, in case of <thread> we don't have our own headers, so <thread> support is given only under VS environments that support <thread>. Obviously this is available with VS11.0 only, not earlier.

Does this help?

Hubert.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
That subject was recently discussed. >>...I recently learned that C+11 thread support doesn't exist when using Intel Composer XE with versions of Visual Studio >>before 2012... There is a difference between your statement '...support doesn't exist...' and the fact that the header file physically doesn't exist in some versions of Visual Studio. Anyway, I'll take a look at it and provide you techniical details ( for informational purposes as well ).
0 Kudos
Mark_P_2
Beginner

I submitted this problem with the title "Missing C++11 <thread> support using Composer XE with Visual Studio 2008 or 2010".  However <thread> was stripped somewhere along the line.  I assume because Intels comment parser assumed it was an HTML tag.

"There is a difference between your statement '...support doesn't exist...' and the fact that the header file physically doesn't exist in some versions of Visual Studio".  Why?  Intel adds lots of headers in order to support various features.

"Anyway, I'll take a look at it and provide you technical details"  Thanks.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Here are results of my additional verification: Visual Studio 2005 - thread doesn't exist Visual Studio 2008 - thread doesn't exist Visual Studio 2010 - thread doesn't exist Visual Studio 2012 - thread does exist ( installed by Microsoft, however there is No Microsoft's Copyright in the header ) >>...Intel adds lots of headers in order to support various features... Do you mean headers in ..\[ ICCInstallDir ]\Composer XE\Compiler\Include folder? Please clarify.
0 Kudos
Mark_P_2
Beginner

Google just::thread for how to add <thread> support to Visual Sudio 2008 and 2010.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Mark, Is there anything else I could help you with? Please let me know.
0 Kudos