Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Missing free ICC version for Opensource development on Windows

sav
Novice

Hi, Everyone,

While building Chromium, MESA and OpenSSL found, that they don't provide toolchains for ICC on Windows. After sending requests to their Developers received almost the same answer:
"there is no free ICC version on Windows for Opensource development thus there is no support for it".
I assume Qt didn't add ICC on Windows to officially supported compilers because of the the same reasons.

Wherein:
- ICC on Windows available for free for Students and Educators, but not for Opensource development,
- ICC on Linux available for free for Opensource development, but on Windows don't,
- MSVC available for free for Opensource development, but ICC on Windows don't.

Could anyone shed lite on the reasons of such inconsistencies? Any chance, that things will change in the future?

BTW, Intel Developers make contributions to MESA and Qt. Since Intel interested in development of this projects, why it not interested in providing ICC support for them?

Regards,
Alexander

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Light_Intel

I am sure the decision is not random. I will take this question to the people who make those decisions and will post an update.

Regards,

Noga

Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

We value open-source developers. Linux* is a more natural environment for open source sharing, while Windows* is proprietary in nature. That said you have brought up some good points. We will be looking into this issue.

Regards,

Noga

0 Kudos
sav
Novice

I see, thank you.

Сan only add, that performance for Chromium and MESA projects is critical. And if ICC would be able to provide for these projects at least 20% better performance, compared to MSVC, it could gain more popularity and spread of.

Thus hope Intel will make a decision, which make all happier.

Regards,
Alexander

0 Kudos