Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

More vtune compatability questions/problems...

incaveman
Beginner

Ok, so I have vtune, the thread profiler, and the intel compiler. The compiler seems to work with VS2005, but vtune seems completely non-functional because I have an Athalon processor. Is there a way to configure thisfor different processors?

Also, I just finished installing it onto my laptop, which does have an intel processor, only to find out that it doesn't work with Visual C++ express edition.

I have literally wasted the day installing software, and nothing works, so I am a bit frustrated. Do I have any options here, or what?

Thanks,

-Kevin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
AMD presents their own CodeAnalyst (built on oprofile) as the recommended equivalent to VTune. The VTune team doesn't have sufficient access to details of AMD architecture to support those features, hence the documented non-support of AMD CPUs.
I don't know why VS2005 express wouldn't work on a laptop; it was OK on my 4 year old Centrino. It's a bit more complicated to install than VS2005 standard; there are separate Microsoft web pages explaining it. The 32- (and 64-bit, if you want it) compilers are separate downloads, and the Microsoft C++ must be installed before any Intel compiler can be installed. 2005 Express has the documented limitation that no non-Microsoft compiler is allowed to work with it, except by command line.

0 Kudos
incaveman
Beginner

Well, VS Express worked fine, it was VTune that didn't work with it. I downloaded VS Std last night, so I guess I will spend the day un-installing yesterday's venture and re-installing. I am sure glad I didn't have to pay for all of this stuff -- I would be even more upset if that were the case.

Anyway, the compiler works fine on my AMD system, it is just the VTUNE stuff that doesn't. I guess I thought if there were dependancies, it would be the other way around...

Thanks for the response. At least I know now I have to un-install all the intel stuff as well to make it work right.

One thing that did cross my mind --if none of this stuff works with an AMD processor, why didn't the installer tell me that I was about to waste hours of time installing it onto a machine it wouldn't work on?

-Kevin

0 Kudos