Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Naive question about stl library

dom_beau
Beginner
Hello, I have a naive question about STL library. I'm currently using ICC 12.1 above MSVS2010. I saw that the STL headers used during debugging are those coming with Visual Studio. I looked at the ICC folder and found no SLT-like header files.
My question is: since ICC can be used standalone and STL are part of C++, how all of this is performed when Visual Studio is not installed? Maybe my question makes no sense?
Dominique
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JenniferJ
No, ICC can not be used standalone.
On Windows it requires the header and runtime libs from VS. On Linux it requires gcc.

Jennifer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JenniferJ
No, ICC can not be used standalone.
On Windows it requires the header and runtime libs from VS. On Linux it requires gcc.

Jennifer
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I can't see what you mean by standalone use. Intel Windows compilers depend on the corresponding Microsoft compilers to supply a majority of headers and libraries, as well as the basic linker. A long time ago there were versions which included Dinkumware STL, but that didn't support operation without Microsoft SDK.
0 Kudos
dom_beau
Beginner
Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos