Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Newbie problem with idb on MacOSX

bill_othon
Beginner
Just loaded Intel C++ compiler and idb on MacBook. Compiler runs fine; idb does not. Pertinant info:

$icc --version
icc (ICC) 9.1 20060707
Copyright (C) 1985-2006 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
$idb --version
idb --version
Intel Debugger for IA-32 -based Applications, Version 9.1-24 , Build 20060622

Simple hello world foo.c.
$ icc -g foo.c
$ a.out
Foo
$

Here's what I get when I try to run idb:
$idb a.out
Intel Debugger for IA-32 -based Applications, Version 9.1-24 , Build 20060622
------------------
object file name: a.out
Reading symbolic information from /Users/xxx/foo/a.out...You cannot debug "/private/tmp/icc27SJcU.o" because its type is "unknown".
You cannot debug "/private/tmp/icc27SJcU.o" because its type is "unknown".
IDB could not read debugging info from /private/tmp/icc27SJcU.o
No debugging symbols found

I did just download the latest Intel compiler (029), and loaded both compiler and idb. Updated to Xcode 2.4 before all these installations. I compiled with gcc and used gdb, and debugger worked fine.

Any help? thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Thanks Bill. I'll attempt to reproduce in-house and then work with IDB developers on a resolution.

-- G

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Bill,

I believe the debugging information is removed from executables on MacOS. Please try doing:

$ icc o foo.o gdwarf-2 c foo.c
$ icc o a.out foo.o
$ a.out
Foo
$idb a.out

The corresponding object file must be in the same place it was in when the executable was compiled, or IDB wont find the debugging information.

Please let me know how that works for you.

Thanks,

-- G

0 Kudos
schymans
Beginner
I have the same problem with the Intel fortran90 compiler and debugger on an Intel-based MacBook Pro. The -gdwarf-2 option did not help.
I also have the problem that I can't get XCode to work with the Intel Debugger, either. Is there a way to get around this? Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Stan
0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel
IDB that comes with version 10.1 is only supported from the command line. Xcode integration is not available.
0 Kudos