Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7953 Discussions

Non-commercial license renewal process?

Travis_D_
New Contributor II

I work on a number of open source projects and try to support the Linux icc compiler where possible on those projects.

To do that, last year I went through the non-commercial license process to obtain icc (as part of the parallel amplifier XE package). That went fairly smoothly. The license lasts for a year and has now expired. The renewal process isn't all clear. From my logged-in account on https://registrationcenter.intel.com I can see the old expired products but the "buy or renew" type links just lead to the general trial/buy pages.

Ultimately, I went back through the open source contributor page and clicked the Linux link at the bottom which apparently is the way for both renewals and new requests?

That was almost a month ago and I've heard nothing back by email and nothing has changed in registration center. I am not able to support new icc releases and even my older versions of icc don't work since the license has expired. I am seriously considering my support for icc as a compiler on the projects I support since the open-source licensing process isn't smooth. It is already a barrier for developers to use icc (e.g., since you have to jump through the hoops, and can't get icc with a non-commercial license on Windows), so one would hope we can avoid another barrier at renewal time.

It's understandable that Intel has been pretty busy in the new year with Meltdown & Spectre, but how can I at least get an update on the status of the renewal?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you have encountered.  I will send an internal email about this issue.  Incidentally, today is an Intel holiday in the U.S. so likely you will hear back tomorrow at the soonest.  Thank you for your support of the Intel compiler in open source project. --Melanie

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

please submit an issue to Online Service Center. you'll get the help there.

Goto this link to get started: https://software.intel.com/en-us/support/priority-support

Thanks,

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Travis_D_
New Contributor II

Melanie Blower (Intel) wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you have encountered.  I will send an internal email about this issue.  Incidentally, today is an Intel holiday in the U.S. so likely you will hear back tomorrow at the soonest.  Thank you for your support of the Intel compiler in open source project. --Melanie

Thanks Melanie! Please let me know if you hear anything.

Jennifer J. (Intel) wrote:

please submit an issue to Online Service Center. you'll get the help there.

Goto this link to get started: https://software.intel.com/en-us/support/priority-support

Thanks,

Jennifer

I would have, but Non-commercial license holders aren't eligible for priority support. From the FAQ at the link you included, it says:

Customers with free licenses such as student, educator, open-source contributor, or Intel® Performance Libraries do not qualify for Priority Support.

In any case, I opened a ticket anyways (it seems the system let me). The identifier is 03213104.

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

Please see: "Who is eligible to receive Priority Support?

Customers with paid Intel® Software Development Products with current active support are eligible for Priority Support. You need to register your product on the Intel® Registration Center to receive Priority Support. We also encourage customers to visit our user forums for support with related issues, such as programming practices and discussions with other users.

Customers with free licenses such as student, educator, open-source contributor, or Intel® Performance Libraries do not qualify for Priority Support. You may seek technical support from Intel community user forums that are followed by expert users. Products with Priority Support may be purchased directly from the Intel® Web Store or from our resellers.

Getting started (registration, download, licensing, installation) questions only may be submitted, regardless of whether you have active Priority Support or not.

Hope this helps to clear any confusion.

Noga - Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Travis_D_
New Contributor II

Noga C. (Intel) wrote:

Please see: "Who is eligible to receive Priority Support?"

Getting started (registration, download, licensing, installation) questions only may be submitted, regardless of whether you have active Priority Support or not.

Hope this helps to clear any confusion.

Noga - Intel Customer Support

Thanks, Noga - I had missed that last part, it makes sense now!

I just got a response to my ticket which just says:

Noncommercial licenses are not renewable.  You will need to apply for a new license.

That is what I did (I followed the "new license" procedure same as the first time).

0 Kudos
Travis_D_
New Contributor II

An update:

On the ticket they asked me to email academicdevelopersinfo@intel.com which apparently handles also the Open Source non-commercial licensing. They responded fairly quickly and said they have forwarded my email to a different team which handles the open source stuff. That was 5 days ago, and I haven't heard anything back but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Travis_D_
New Contributor II

This got solved a few days ago, thanks for everyone who helped out.

0 Kudos