Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

OS X And GCC Compatibility with 3rd party libs

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I am using a bunch of 3rd party libraries, some of which will compile with icc, some will not. (boost and vtk). Those libraries I compile with gcc 4.x (Xcode 2.5 tool set). What are some items that I should look out for when trying to compile my own code with icc but linking against dynamic libraries that are built with gcc? I have perused the documentation and looked at some of the flags but nothing is really jumping out at me.

I have version 9.1.040 (actuall I have 10.0.20 but that build seems buggy and my 1 year of upgrades ran out). THis is running on OS X 10.4.11 on a MacBook Pro.

Thanks
Mike Jackson
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I think you're pretty much on your own attempting to combine gcc 4 objects with an out of date compiler. Differences in STL could be major. Going from gcc 4.1 to 4.2, for example, signals ABI incompatibility, and you can't expect to solve it with "compatibility flags." Current icc is compatible with gcc 4.1. Minor incompatibilities with gcc 4.2 can usually be worked around, and we may hope that an icc update should take care of them soon.
0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel

The gcc that comes with OSX is gcc 4.01. The Intel compiler for Mac OS X should be source and binary compatible with the gcc version 4.01 that comes with the latest Tiger OSX and Leopard OSX. Are you seeing a problem?

0 Kudos