Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Old Compiler Version in Evaluation?

Dix_Lorenz
Beginner
Hi,
I recently downloaded the evaluation of Intel Parallel Composer, intending to use it under Windows 7 as a replacement for the MS Compiler. Specifically I am interested in the C++11 compatibility according to:
I can't get stuff like alias templates to work though. I haven't found a clear way of telling which version exactly I am running, but it seems I don't have "Update 6". Am I doing something stupidly wrong (I did turn on C++0x support)? Is the evaluation not the most current version? Is Update 6 not even out yet? How can I update my version?
Thanks,
Dix
PS: Sorry if this post appears multiple times, had problems with using the forum.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Dix,
Did you download from the Intel Eval Center at:http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-evaluation-center/ or from elsewhere?
The Intel Parallel Composer/Compsoer XE2011 Update 6 should be the version available in the eval center.Update 6 was released 6th Sept 2011. I'll check the eval download center.
Regards,
Hubert.
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Typically, an evaluation package contains a subset of the full package, but whatever components are included are the same as in the full package.

Open a command prompt and type icl /v, and you will be shown the version number. You can also check the version number in a number of places, including the Start Menu, or the Programs and Features control panel.

s:\>icl /? | grep 0x
Intel C++ Compiler XE for applications running on IA-32, Version 12.1.0.233 Build 20110811
Copyright (C) 1985-2011 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

c++0x enable preliminary support for some C++0x features

0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee

Dix,

I looked up in the Intel Evaluation Center.

Unfortunately for the Intel Parallel Composer 2011 the default download is the 'Initial Release', not Update 6. You need to choose 'Update 6' from the 'Update (Build #) drop-down box in the download area and then select a download file.

For the Intel Composer XE 2011 the default download is the latest version 2011 Update 6.

Which is the version you actually installed?

Hubert.

0 Kudos
Dix_Lorenz
Beginner
I downloaded a file "composer_2011_setup.exe" on Sep 17th. According to my confirmation email I am evaluating Parallel Composer.

icl /v results in Version 12.0.0.063 Build 20100721
2 Questions arise:
a) which product do I actually want? Honestly, between "Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011", "Intel C++ Studio XE 2011", "Intel Parallel Studio", "Intel Composer XE 2011", "Intel C++ Composer XE 2011", and "Intel Parallel Composer" I am pretty lost; all I want is Intels C++-Compiler for Windows, don't care for Linux/Mac, don't care for other languages and don't care for any of the other tools...
b) do I need to start a new evaluation or is there a way to update what I have?
Thanks for the help,
Dix
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
This index page shows the components of each of the Intel compiler product bundles.
C++ Composer XE is the basic C++ compiler.
If you want to try a different evaluation product, simplest way is to start a new evaluation.
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Dix,
So you need to download the Update 6 as I explained in the last communication. Please open the link from the registration email you got from the Intel Registration Center and choose Update 6 from the drop-down box in the download area.
For now you are fine with the Parallel Composer 2011 you are regsitered for and don't care about the different products.
You may have a look at the product page to sort out whether you may need the full package of compiler and profiling/correctness tools (Parallel Studio or Parallel Studio XE for Windows) or just the compiler tools (Parallel Composer or Composer XE).
Product page: http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-sdp-home/
Regards,
Hubert.

0 Kudos
Dix_Lorenz
Beginner
Ok, I found the popup, downloaded it, installed it and I can compile some testcode which uses template aliases, so it seems I got the current version this time.
Off to do serious evaluating now :-)
Thanks for your help,
Dix
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Dix,
Thanks! Any feedback on the compiler is very welcome.
Hubert.
0 Kudos
dmitry_sychov
Beginner
Great to see support for default template args for templated fns, aliased templates and variadic templates.
0 Kudos
dmitry_sychov
Beginner
.. and hope to see support for delegating c-tors, init lists, range-for & constexpr soon
0 Kudos