Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

OpenMP 4.0 target data directive

Dan_M_4
Beginner

Hello,

I am using the icc v14.0.0 compiler and I would like to use the #pragma omp target data directive as described here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/514568

I have made a small example program that, to my eye, looks very similar to the example given in the above link. However, it produces a compile error.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <omp.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
  int *a, *b;
  a = (int *) malloc(sizeof(int));
  b = (int *) malloc(sizeof(int));
  *a = 1;
#pragma omp target data map(to:a) map(from:b)
  {
#pragma omp target
    {
      *b = *a;
    }   
  }
  printf("%d\n", *b);
  return 0;
}

The compile error is the following:

$ icc -openmp -o test test.c
test.c(13): error: pointer variable "b" in this offload region must be specified in an in/out/inout/nocopy clause
  #pragma omp target
  ^

test.c(13): error: pointer variable "a" in this offload region must be specified in an in/out/inout/nocopy clause
  #pragma omp target
  ^

compilation aborted for test.c (code 2)

If I remove the 'target data' pragma and move the two map() clauses to the 'target' pragma, it compiles and runs on the target device as expected (according to the OFFLOAD_REPORT output).

What is the correct syntax for using the 'target data' pragma in OpenMP 4.0? How should I modify the above code so that it compiles with the 'target data' pragma?

Thank you for your help!

-Dan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

That compiler didn't support target update and target map in the same application.  This was fixed in at least one later compiler.  Maybe there was a similar restriction on the syntax you're trying.  It's important to use a current compiler when trying OpenMP 4.

0 Kudos
pbkenned1
Employee

Specifically, you need at least update #2 (14.0.2.14) to compile and run your example.

$ icc -V
Intel(R) C Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 14.0.2.144 Build 20140120
Copyright (C) 1985-2014 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

$ icc U505063.c -openmp && ./a.out
$

Patrick

0 Kudos
Jianbin_F_
Beginner

I run the same code with the newly downloaded Intel Parallel Studio 2017 on Intel Xeon Phi 31SP. It reports the following message: 

offload error: process on the device 0 was terminated by signal 11 (SIGSEGV).

Could anybody shede some light on it? 

Jianbin

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>offload error: process on the device 0 was terminated by signal 11 (SIGSEGV). >> >>Could anybody shede some light on it? ... #define SIGSEGV 11 /* segment violation */ ... So far this is it and you need to provide more technical details.
0 Kudos