Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Optimization for Atom Processor with Composer XE 2011 compiler

larisa-basov
Beginner
Hi,
I want to know where the optimization switch /QxSSE3_ATOM should be set.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
I guess you are asking where to set this option in the Visual Studio properties. You can find this option under (e.g. Visual Studio 2010)Configuration Properties > C/C++ > Code Generation [Intel C++]> Intel Prcessor-Specific Optimization
Does this help?
Regards, Hubert.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
I guess you are asking where to set this option in the Visual Studio properties. You can find this option under (e.g. Visual Studio 2010)Configuration Properties > C/C++ > Code Generation [Intel C++]> Intel Prcessor-Specific Optimization
Does this help?
Regards, Hubert.
0 Kudos
larisa-basov
Beginner
Yes, Thank you.

0 Kudos
larisa-basov
Beginner
When I set up this option ,I see the message:

icl: command line remark #10010: option '/QxSSE3_ATOM' is deprecated and will be removed in a future release.

From help I've got that there is another option : SSSE3_ATOM , but there is no such option under Specific Optimization.

Also, unfortunately, there is no difference in performance on Atom pc after compiling with the new option.

I am trying to optimaze software for Atom pc ,the performance is satisfactory for Intel i5 , but seventh time slower on Atom.
I am asking for any suggestions that may be helpful at this case.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
No, the advice we have been given is to use plain SSE3 options, such as /arch:SSE3. You can't expect Atom to compete with I5 on computational performance alone; it is meant to be competitive in power efficiency. It may depend on the compiler achieving optimizations such as those reported in /Qvec-report, as well as on sufficient RAM for your test case.
0 Kudos
larisa-basov
Beginner
Thank you for your reply.

I set the Code Generation > Enable Enhanced Instruction Set to Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (/arch:SSE3) [Intel C++]

but I am having this message:
icl: remark #10346: optimization reporting is disabled given current set of compilation options

Are there any other configurations that should be set?
as I see on performance monitor, I have sufficient RAM but the 2 cores of CPU working very hard (up to 100%).
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Larisa,

Re. icl: remark #10346:
The reason for the remark (under Visual Studio 2012 it's a warning) #10346 is that the vectorizer report is enabled as compiler optionwhileIPO (Interprocedural Optimization) is being used. Whenever IPO is used, such reporting options need to be specified as linker options rather than compiler options.
So this combination of option setting
- Project Properties > Configuration Properties > C/C++ > Optimization [Intel C++] > Interprocedural Optimization: MultiFile (/Qipo).
- Project Properties > Configuration Properties > C/C++ Diagnostics [Intel C++] > Vectorizer Diagnostic Level: /Qvec-report2
causes thisremark/warning. Nevertheless, the vector report is being produced successfully.
In order to get rid of such remarks/warnings, you need to add /Qvec-report[1|2|3|4|5] under the
- Project Properties > Configuration Properties > Linker > Command Line

Re. SSE3:
When building forthe Intel Atom processor target you can specify the new switch that is not yet included under theProject Properties. Add /QxSSSE3_ATOM on the
Project Properties> Configuration Properties > C/C++ > Command Line

Regards,
Hubert.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting Larisa Basov
...Are there any other configurations that should be set?

Option'Basic Runtime Checks' could possibly disableoptimizations andhas to be set to Default.

Could you submit a complete list of your compilation options for a review?

0 Kudos