Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Option Qcheck-pointers-mpx:rw breaks ICC 16.0 with error 010101_0

Roman_Z_1
Beginner

Hi!

I'm trying to build Google Test library with ICC and option -Qcheck-pointers-mpx:rw . Compilation stops with an error:

gtest-all.cc
": : error : 010101_0 [googletest\googletest\msvc\gtest.vcxproj]

There is a build script for VS2015 at github: https://github.com/wizardsd/icc_bug_mpx

Software: Intel(R) Compiler 16.0 Update 1 (package 146), Visual Studio 2015 Update 1

Will you help me with this problem?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Roman

I tried build the Google Test Library using ICL 16.0 Update 1.

I will initially get an exception specification error. This should relate to:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/494698

I have work-around it by modifying line 314 of "include/internal/gtest-param-util.h" as below: 

virtual ~Iterator() throw() {}

Then I will encounter such error : 010101_0 [googletest\googletest\msvc\gtest.vcxproj] which is an internal error build from command in ICL

>icl -D__builtin_huge_valf()#HUGE_VALF -D__builtin_nan#nan -D__builtin_nanf#nanf -D__builtin_nans#nan -D__builtin_nansf#nanf -Qcheck-pointers-mpx:rw /c /Qm32 /I.. /I..\include /ZI /W3 /Od /Qftz- -D __INTEL_COMPILER=1600 -D WIN32 -D_DEBUG -D _LIB -D _MBCS /EHsc /RTC1 /MTd /GS /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope /Fogtest/Debug\gtest\ /Fdgtest/Debug\gtest\gtest.pdb /Gd /TP ..\src\gtest-all.cc
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on IA-32, Version 16.0.1.146 Build 20151021
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

gtest-all.cc
warning #31001: The dll for reading and writing the pdb (for example, mspdb110.dll) could  not be found on your path. This is usually a configuration error. Compilation will continue using /Z7 instead of /Zi, but expect a similar error when you link your program.
": internal error: 010101_0

compilation aborted for ..\src\gtest-all.cc (code 4)

It looks like some configuration error. I am still investigating this and will update soon. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Roman_Z_1
Beginner

Hi, Yolanda!

I think that there is a problem with ICC, because without option -Qcheck-pointers-mpx:rw everything works perfectly.

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Roman

Yes, you are right. The internal error only happens when /Qcheck-pointers-mpx:rw is specified.

My previous syntax error was reproduced by an internal package. The error is fixed in Update 1(16.0.1.146). That's my bad. Sorry.

I have reproduced the issue you reported and entered it in our problem tracking system. We will try to resolve this issue as soon as we can. However, please be advised that this issue may have to be targeted to for the next major release. I will let you know when I have an update on this issue. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Roman,
What OS version are you using? Also, are you using the /MD option as well? Thx.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
Roman_Z_1
Beginner

Hi, Kittur,

I'm using Windows 10 x64 LTSB (10240). Compiler crashes with debug options: /MTd or /MDd. With options /MT and /MD I get linker errors like that:

gtest.lib(gtest-all.obj) : : error LNK2005: __cp_array_end_?id@?$num_put@DV?$ostreambuf_iterator@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@std@@@std@@2V0locale@2@A already defined in gtest_prod_test.obj 

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Thanks for the info Roman Z.  Yes, this is an issue that's already field with the developers. In the meantime, try to not use -MD to compile and see if that works or try to link with MS library "legacy_stdio_definitions.lib" from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\lib\amd64 and see if that helps. If it doesn't then don't bother to do so.  We'll let you know as soon as the release with a fix for this issue is out. Appreciate your patience till then.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
Roman_Z_1
Beginner

Hi! Do you have any news about this issue?

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Roman,
Thanks for the inquiry. The issue will be fixed in  the 17.0 release. Right now the 17.0 beta is out but I am awaiting a response from the team to find out if the issue will be fixed in the 17.0 beta update 1 release that will be out later.   Just in case if you wish to participate in  the 17.0 beta you can register at: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/623321

I'll keep you updated. Appreciate your patience, as always.

Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Roman,
I verified with the dev team and this issue will be fixed in the upcoming beta update 1 release. I'll let you know as soon as the release is out. Again, thanks for your patience till then.

Kittur

0 Kudos
Roman_Z_1
Beginner

Do you have any updates from dev team?

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Roman

This issue has been fixed in Intel C++ Compiler 17.0 and 16.0 Update 4.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

0 Kudos