Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Parallel Programming with Windows 7 OS

shadab_khatib
Beginner
Hello
I am a student and a C programmer. I use Windows 7 as my primary OS. I sometimes switch over to the Linux flavours namely Fedora 16, Ubuntu 11.10, Sabayon etc.But that slows down my PC speed as it occupies extra HDD space.

I need to know which compiler or IDE is best for executing programs using the header file and those programs which use threads(basically I am talking about the Parallel Programs).

In my Institution they use the Kdevelop IDE for executing the parallel programs using the headers and the programs that deploy threads.

I need a substitution for the Kdevelop IDE for the Windows 7 X64 platform.

I have tried to execute the same on Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition but they give errors about the execution files and the headers are not available.

So could anyone provide a solution to this problem?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JenniferJ

This is not the right forum for this questions.

Check on msdn forum to see if they offer higher editions of Visual Studio for academic students.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
has to be supplied by your OpenMP library. The header file doesn't implement much of OpenMP; the compiler has to have built-in OpenMP capability and a very substantial library is needed, which in turn will depend on a threading implementation provided with the OS.
has internal function names which are specific to the associated library. It may translate only those OpenMP functions which you write explicitly, such as omp_set_num_threads(), omp_get_wtime(),.... and might not be needed even then, if your OpenMP happens to agree with legacy explicit definitions of those functions.
Intel OpenMP for Windows supports OpenMP compilation by MSVC (using MSVC or by ICL (using its ). Other commercial compilers for Windows, such as PGI, supply their own OpenMP. mingw supplies an adequate OpenMP for Windows 7 X64 (not as good as gcc OpenMP on linux), but it won't mix with any other of those I just mentioned.
MSVC Express doesn't supply the vcomp library, but (last I checked) it will work with the ICL (32-bit) OpenMP. It doesn't do native X64.
Likewise, linux compilation using either gcc or icc can link against the Intel OpenMP library.
None of these compilers will likely catch your error until link time if you give them an incompatible combination of and library.
If you aren't using an Intel compiler, trying to go further to define what you mean by "this problem" isn't topical here, nor is finding out which non-Intel compilers might plug into Kdevelop on Windows.
There is no way an IDE such as Kdevelop can have a single which will work with all possible OpenMP implementations.
0 Kudos
shadab_khatib
Beginner
Hello
Thanks for your reply for my problem.

I would like to ask you can the Intel C++ compiler solve my problem for executing OpenMP as a complete substitute for Kdevelop for my Windows 7 X64 platform?

Will it be a complete solution suite for executing the OpenMP programming in "C-Language" if I get an evaluation copy of it?
0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee
You may download the trial version of the fompiler from http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-composer-xe/. You will neeed Visual Studio 2005 or above for Intel compiler to install.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hello
I am a student and a C programmer. I use Windows 7 as my primary OS. I sometimes switch over to the Linux flavours namely Fedora 16, Ubuntu 11.10, Sabayon etc.But that slows down my PC speed as it occupies extra HDD space.

I need to know which compiler or IDE is best for executing programs using the header file and those programs which use threads(basically I am talking about the Parallel Programs).

[SergeyK] I would recommendVisual Studio Professional Editions2005, 2008, or 2010, and
a latest version of Intel C++ compiler.

Microsoft C/C++ compiler also could be used but Microsoft's implementation of OpenMP
doesn't allow to create more than 64 threads in a parallel region.

In my Institution they use the Kdevelop IDE for executing the parallel programs using the headers and the programs that deploy threads.

I need a substitution for the Kdevelop IDE for the Windows 7 X64 platform.

I have tried to execute the same on Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition but they give errors about the execution files and the headers are not available.

[SergeyK] You need to use at least a Standard Edition of Visual Studio, or higher.

You could also look at a latest version ofMinGW C/C++ compiler (version higher than 3.4.2 ).

Best regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
shadab_khatib
Beginner
Hello
Firstly what extra features does Intel Parallel Studio provide which the Microsoft visual Studio provide?
Will i actually need it to develop openmp or any sort of parallel prorgrams even after having the MS Visual Studio 2010 eval pack?

I installed Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate evaluation package.
But when i try to install the Intel Parallel Studio 1.0 X64 it does not meet the requirements.
Why is it so?
Though the requirements panel say it wants MS Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 but eventhough I have installed 2010 Ultimate version it is not getting installed or meetingth system requirements
So is there any other version of Intel Parallel Studio that supports the MS Visual Stusio 2010 Ultimate edition.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You are getting off into the subject of Parallel Studio documentation and the forum dedicated to that.
Parallel Studio 2011 should work with VS2010. As you inadvertently point out, the late arrival of VS2010 led to a year discrepancy in the name of the Intel product, so the marketing value of adding the year may be negative.
Parallel Studio doesn't add any features to the C++ compiler ("Composer") itself, it adds prototyping, performance profiling, and verification tools. I suppose "any sort" of parallel programs doesn't necessarily involve the additional tools, but that's your call.
Intel marketing people may be disappointed that you didn't notice all the publicity about Cilk+, which is included in the compiler. Maybe they should take to heart the evidence of confusion.
0 Kudos