Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Parallel Studio XE 2017 for Linux (64-bit) - Unable to build Intel C++ Compiler (ICC) exec binary

engineerII
Novice

Hi All,

Thank you in advance for your time and help with this question.

System and Install Specs:

• OS - Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 7.9, 64-Bit; GNOME v3.28.2
  • CPU - Intel Core i7-7700, Mem - 32 GB, Disk - 1TB
  • GCC version: 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.4-44)
  • PSXE version: Intel PSXE 2017, update 8 (build 262) with C/C++ Compiler for Linux
    • Note: this 'intel-psxe-runtime-2017.8-262' install was a "full" component install 
    • step-by-step installation instructions were found here (link) 
  • Compiler version: 'intel-icc-runtime-2017.8-262'
    • This comes included with the full install mentioned above but also separately if desired as a redistributable package (updates 1-8, link).  These full vs partial sources match file for file in terms of the compiler related files. 

Issue:

• Unable to find the proper script to build the executable for the actual Intel C++ Compiler 2017, i.e. the icc executable binary.
    • Directory Structure:
      • ls /opt/intel/psxe_runtime_2017.8.262/linux/
        • bin/  compiler/  daal/  ipp/  mkl/  mpi/  tbb/
      • ls /opt/intel/psxe_runtime_2017.8.262/linux/bin/ 
        • compilervars.csh  compilervars.sh  psxevars.csh  psxevars.sh
    • Executing the main PSXE compiling scripts (/bin/psxevars.csh,.sh and /bin/compilervars.csh,.sh) properly set the environment variables and /library/ and /include/ destination paths, e.g. to .so and .a files, etc.
      • 'source psxevars.csh intel64' also invokes 'source compilervars.csh intel64'
    • Looking into the compiler directory, we get
      • ls /opt/intel/psxe_runtime_2017.8.262/linux/compiler/lib/intel64_lin/
        • irml/  libifcore.so*  libifcore.so.5*  + ... +  offload_main*  [ 32 files total ]
    • Section 4 of this document (link), suggests that there would be or used to be a iccvars.csh,.sh file within /bin/ to obtain the icc* executable.  I was unable to locate such filename.
    • A directory wide search for any tags/labels, particularly inside the psxevars.csh, compilervars.csh (and .sh) files, doesn't turn up any files with such 'icc' tags/labels.
    • This Intel PSXE Install Guide for Linux (link) is nice, but its compiler agnostic and without example usages. Rather, it simply points to where the compiler directories would be.

Questions:

• How might I generate the 'icc*' binary from the full PSXE download (link) or intel-icc download (link)?
  • Is the icc* executable (2017, 64-bit) for purchase only?

Thank you again for your help to locate or generate via a script these binaries!

Regards,
Chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Viet_H_Intel

Hi Chris,

IPSXE2017 Update 8 is no longer a supported version. Only Customers who had a license/serial number and had registered can re-download it from our website.

When you downloaded the package, did you have about 4.6GB?

Sorry, I meant the package's size is about 4.6Gb. Not avail space on your system.

Our framework requires the 2017 version, which it was tested on

How did you get the 2017 version before? Does someone on your team had a license/serial for IPSXE2017?

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RahulV_intel

Hi,

Running the "source psxevars.sh intel64" command sources the Intel compilers to the current environment.

What is the exact error message that you see when you try to invoke ICC/ICPC command after sourcing the psxevars.sh script file?

Attach a screenshot if possible.

Thanks,

Rahul

0 Kudos
engineerII
Novice

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for your time to troubleshoot this with me.

Commands:

• $> 'source psxevars.csh intel64'
  • $> icc
  •       icc: command not found. 

Screenshot:

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi,

Instead of sourcing psxevars.csh script file, can you give it a try by sourcing psxevars.sh script file?

Command:

source psxevars.sh intel64

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Kudos
engineerII
Novice

Hi Rahul,

Sure thing!

Here's the screenshot:

engineerII_0-1604413115972.png

Thanks again for your time and help!

Regards,
Chris

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi Chris,

Thanks for trying it out.

I'd recommend you to upgrade your parallel studio to the latest version. In case you have any dependency on the current version, kindly reinstall it.

You may also want to consider trying online mode install as given in the installation guide below.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/download/parallel-studio-xe-2020-install-guide-linux.html

More information here (to upgrade/remove/install):

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/installing-intel-parallel-studio-xe-runtime-2020-using-yum-repository.html

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Rahul

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi Chris,

Any updates on this?

Thanks,

Rahul

0 Kudos
engineerII
Novice

Hi Rahul,

I went ahead with your recommendations above and am troubleshooting some minor missing links to the mpi libraries, icc 2020 is found.

It's strange that the 2017 redistributable Intel C++ Compiler packages, among the list on the Intel website (link) for all 2015-2020 compiler versions, are missing the main C++ executable binary (icc*). Also, it's strange that the full PSXE 2017 package (link) is missing the C++ compiler as well.  Yet the weblinks are active and don't appear to have disclaimers that the 2017 versions are deficient.

I'm still also trying to find someone online who has the 2017 version of the redistributable Intel C++ Compiler.  Our framework requires the 2017 version, which it was tested on.  It will be important to upgrade this as well, but our current project is a small one, so a small team, and it's risky to spend too much time (this project) to update the whole framework to the newer version compiler.

Thank you again for your follow-up and help!

Regards,
Chris

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reporting the issues.

I have escalated your issues to the concerned team. They will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

If you had registered to https://registrationcenter.intel.com then you can download IPSXE2017 Update 8 from the website.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
engineerII
Novice

Hi Viet_H,

Thank you for your comment.  This is what I had done on day one.  The issue here is that the full IPSXE2017 for Linux w/ C++ doesn't actually include or appear to include the accompanying 2017 Intel C++ Compiler (icc* executable binary). Please review my first post for further details.

Thank you for your time and help!

Regards,
Chris

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Yes, I saw your first post. Instead of following that link for installation, can you run "sh install.sh" and follow the instructions after untar the package?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
engineerII
Novice

Viet_H,

"If you had registered to https://registrationcenter.intel.com then you can download IPSXE2017 Update 8 from the website."

• I think I understand and follow you now. 
  • Previously, I had not purchased and registered a specific SW/HW product, as the link and serial number suggests I need to have (see "serial number required" message below).
    IntelProductRegistration.png
  • While I have had an intel community account, are you saying that I must purchase a specific Intel SW/HW product in order to register and obtain the download for IPSXE2017 Update 8?
  • Does any purchased Intel HW, such as a work desktop computer with an Intel CPU chip in it, suffice or count as such a product for this registration to obtain the IPSXE2017 Update 8 download? 

"When you downloaded the package, did you have about 4.6GB?" - Yes, plenty of HD space.

Thank you again for both your time and help!

Regards,
Chris

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Hi Chris,

IPSXE2017 Update 8 is no longer a supported version. Only Customers who had a license/serial number and had registered can re-download it from our website.

Sorry, I meant the package's size is about 4.6Gb. Not avail space on your system.

Our framework requires the 2017 version, which it was tested on

How did you get the 2017 version before? Does someone on your team had a license/serial for IPSXE2017?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
engineerII
Novice

**Solution Accepted**

Viet_H,

Ah, this makes sense.  Okay.  I will reach out to previous team for the product serial number.  We are a new team performing tests/enhancements on their SW framework, which depends on IPSXE2017.

Thank you for your help in troubleshooting this!

Regards,
Chris

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Btw, our compilers are backward compatible; libraries/binaries built with IPSXE2017 should work with libraries/binaries built with IPSXE2020 in IPSXE2020 env.

0 Kudos
engineerII
Novice

Viet_H,

Thank you for sharing.

As a temporary solution for the build of our SW framework which depends upon IPSXE2017, when I used the IPSXE2020 Update 4 (30-day trial) as a substitute for IPSXE2017 Update 8, the only error thrown was a missing library, libmpi_mt.so.  This library, libmpi_mt.so, doesn't exist in IPSXE2020 Update 4; however, it existed in IPSXE2017 Update 8.

If and when we upgrade to IPSXE2020, we shall need to determine what libmpi_mt.so (from IPSXE2017 Update became for IPSXE2020 Update 4.  Perhaps it is as simple as libmpi_mt.so -> libmpi.so.

In the meantime, I will seek the product license/serial number or download from the old documents/data stores of the previous SW/HW team.

Thank you again for your help and solution!

Regards,
Chris

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Thanks, we will no longer respond to this thread.  

If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

0 Kudos