Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Pentium III (int * float) Vectorization Hack

gordan
Beginner
Just in case someone else is having the same problem, as I didnt' spot the speciffic work-arounf in the documentation (which is not to claim that it's not there, I just didn't spot it when I was looking for a work-around).

Pentium III cannot vectorize (int * float) operations. It CAN, however, vectorize (float * float). Thus:

================================
// This cannot be vectorized:
int x;
int DataC = 10;
float DataV[DataC];
float Multiplier;

for (x = 0; x < DataC; x++)
{
Data = x * Multiplier;
}

================================
// This CAN be vectorized:
int x;
int DataC = 10;
float DataV[DataC];
float Multiplier;

float xx; // Pentium III Vectorization Hack

xx=0;
for (x = 0; x < DataC; x++)
{
Data = xx * Multiplier;
xx++;
}

I hope this is useful to someone. It certainly makes a big difference in my test program.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
gordan
Beginner
Oh dear, replying to my own post. :-/

This "hack" only seems to work on ICC v9. ICC v10 still fails to vectorize, this time not because it's an unsupported operation (i.e. int * float on a P3), but because it thinks that xx is vector dependant on (unknown)...
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
You can add #pragma ivdep in front of the loop.
0 Kudos
gordan
Beginner
That wouldn't help in this case. My understanding of why the loop doesn't get vectorized is that SSE only supports float/float operations. Thus, int*float cannot be vectorized. Casting an int to a float on every pass is inefficient, but just keeping a float version of the iterator seems to work quite well.

Of course, on P4 or later x86 processors it's irrelevant because SSE2 and later supports int * float operations.
0 Kudos