Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

Platform Toolset not restored correctly when I switch to Intel Compiler and back again

DPart1
Beginner

Running VS2017 with Parallel Studio XE installed, if I change from the MS C++ compiler, to the Intel Compiler, and then back to the MS compiler, the platform toolset is changed from v141_xp to v141

Surely you should restore it to the original setting, rather than setting it to the default.

With this problem in mind, does the Intel compiler support a Windows XP target, if so how should that be specified?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PrasanthD_intel

Hi David,

Thanks for reporting this to us.

This is a known limitation as mentioned Intel C++ 19.0 compiler release notes for Windows.(https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-c-compiler-190-for-windows-release-notes-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2019.html#known_limitations)

You can check in the Known limitations section.

Could you please tell us which version of the Intel C++ compiler you were using?

Thanks

Prasanth

0 Kudos
DPart1
Beginner

Parallel Studio XE 2020 Update 1

Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.1.1.216 Build 20200306

David

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi David,

This issue only happens on Windows XP, and since we do no support Windows XP, the fix cannot be provided.

If your query has been answered please confirm so we can close the thread.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
DPart1
Beginner

Hardly - this is a Windows 10 X64 system. Not Windows XP.

If you are saying you won't support a target on XP that's OK, but you should restore the status quo when the user switches back to use the MS compiler.  So I believe you still have a bug that should be fixed.

David

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi David,

Sorry for the miscommunication.

What I meant to say was this issue only happens when the target was Windows XP, and Windows XP is no longer supported.

For all other targets, the platform toolset value won't be changed when you switch compilers.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
DPart1
Beginner

You're missing the point - if the project is set to use the Windows XP (v141_xp) toolset under VS2017 and I switch to the Intel compiler, I can accept that because you don't support that target that you change to the standard V141 toolset.  No problem with that in principle, but you really should issue a warning that you have done so.

My gripe is that if I then switch back to the MS compiler, you DON'T restore the toolset back to Windows XP (v141_xp) - that is plain BAD behaviour.

David

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi David,

We think that it is Visual Studio's job to retain the platform toolset while changing the compiler.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
DPart1
Beginner

Hmmm I sort of see your point - but that's not how it works :(!

Can you at least change things so that if you do change this sort of thing if future that you issue a warning?

David

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion

We will consider that and plan to issue a warning in future once we receive enough requests.

If you are satisfied please confirm so we can close this thread.

Thanks and Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
DPart1
Beginner
0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi David,

Thanks for the confirmation.

We are closing this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos