Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Possible icc bug (alternatively glibc bug)

Peder_Voldnes_L_
Beginner

Hi!

I have made a minimal code example of a C++ project that will result in creating a program that will segfault every time, before it even starts running the main function. It is only a few lines of code, and it's valid C++. The same project will run fine if compiled with gcc. The project is available on GitHub: https://github.com/LangdalP/Intel-Shared-Lib-Segfault . Note that the repo includes a folder debug_data with a various useful debug output, such as a stacktrace + sharedlibrary data from gdb.

Notes: This happens on Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint 18, both of which are unsupported. They have gcc 5.4 and glibc 2.23.

I managed to avoid the segfault by installing Ubuntu 15.04, which has gcc 4.9.2 and glibc2.21. So I realize that this can maybe not be classified as an icc bug, but I was wondering if the ICC team is aware of this, and if anyone knows why this happens with newer versions of gcc and glibc (I am not completely sure which of them is the offender).

0 Kudos
0 Replies