Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Problem after installing icc 8.1

Ioannis_V_
Beginner
Hello,

Since verion 8.1 of the Intel C++ compiler is out, I decided to upgrade to it.

In order to do that, I first uninstalled all other Intel compilers and tools I had on my system (C++ 8.0 with substitute headers, Fortran 8.0 and idb 7.3.2). I left only the license files where they were (/opt/licenses). Subsequently, I downloaded the latest 8.1 package from premier.intel.com (package l_cc_p_8.1.021.tar.gz) and unpacked it with the command:

gzip -cd l_cc_p_8.1.021.tar.gz | tar -x

Then I run ./install.sh from the directory that the above command created. I installed only the C++ compiler but not the development environment and used all default values. I didn't see any errors during the installation, but when I try to run the icc command I get the following errors:

/opt/intel_cc_80/bin/icc: line 7: INSTALLDIR: No such file or directory
/opt/intel_cc_80/bin/icc: line 15: INSTALLDIR: No such file or directory
/opt/intel_cc_80/bin/icc: line 23: INSTALLDIR: No such file or directory
/opt/intel_cc_80/bin/icc: line 33: INSTALLDIR: No such file or directory

It seems that the installation scripts failed to update all scripts in the /opt/intel_cc_80/bin directory. All occurences of INSTALLDIR are still there and have not been replaced with /opt/intel_cc_80. Can someone verify that this is actually a problem of the installation scripts? Would the problem be solved if I manually change all instances of INSTALLDIR to /opt/intel_cc_80? Is there something else that I should look at?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Ioannis

P.S: I forgot to mention that the license files are accepted by the installation scripts. I verified this, since moving them to another location made the installation scripts to complain about missing license files.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Maximillia_D_Intel
Hi,
What you describe sounds strange - an 8.1 install works for me. I have successfully installed it many times. During install, the installation script will modify the icc and icpc scripts with the install directory. For some reason that does not seem to have happened on your install. My guess is something in your environment is not quite right. Perhaps you do not have write access to the install directory. The install script uses sed to perform the mods - maybe sed is not available or does not function properly on your system.
As a workaround you could hand edit as you suggest. I would also look in the install script itself and see if it attempts to edit anything else in the icc and icpc script. You may need to hand modify those as well.
Best regards,
Max
0 Kudos
Ioannis_V_
Beginner
Hello Max,

Thank you for answering. After reading your reply I tried again to install the compiler and, strangely enough, the problem had disappeared!

I am not certain why this happened. During the time between the two installations I rebooted the machine. Could it be that this is related? I didn't change anything else. Probably something was wrong with the environment, as you suggested, which was fixed after rebooting the machine.

Anyway, the compilers work correctly now.

Ioannis
0 Kudos