cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_H
Beginner

Problem compiling with armadillo

Hello all,

I'm using aramadillo (http://arma.sourceforge.net) to elegantly manipulate arrays. All was working well till the last version (4.650.2).
Now it fails compiling with icpc (15.0.1, Linux) pretending there is a resolution problem.  The snippet code still compile fine with g++(4.9.2) and also clang (3.5) showing no error or warning.
I've filed a bug to armadillo team, but they told me it is an Intel issue.

I would be happy if any solution exists to solve this issue as I both need using armadillo and the intel compiler for speed and efficency.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Daniel

Here is the code:

#define ARMA_DONT_USE_WRAPPER
#define ARMA_DONT_USE_HDF5
#define ARMA_DONT_USE_BLAS
#include <armadillo>

using namespace std;
using namespace arma;

#define LEN 50

int main()
{
 mat::fixed<LEN,9> beta;
 vec::fixed<LEN> alpha;
 mat::fixed<LEN,9> ash1;

ash1=repmat(alpha,1,9)-beta;

return(0);
}

and the compilation error:

~ $ icpc -I armadillo-4.650.2/include/  bugarma.cpp 
bugarma.cpp(17): error: more than one operator "=" matches these operands:
            function template "const arma::Mat<double> &arma::Mat<eT>::operator=(const arma::eGlue<T1, T2, eglue_type> &) [with eT=double]"
            function template "const arma::Mat<double> &arma::Mat<eT>::fixed<fixed_n_rows, fixed_n_cols>::operator=(const arma::eGlue<T1, T2, eglue_type> &) [with eT=double, fixed_n_rows=50U, fixed_n_cols=9U]"
            operand types are: arma::Mat<double>::fixed<50U, 9U> = const arma::eGlue<arma::Op<arma::Mat<double>, arma::op_repmat>, arma::Mat<double>::fixed<50U, 9U>, arma::eglue_minus>
   ash1=repmat(alpha,1,9)-beta;
       ^
compilation aborted for bugarma.cpp (code 2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

I've reproduced the issue and will submit to dev team to fix. I do not have a workaround as of now, I'll look into details and maybe ask developer whether a workaround can be provided.

Thanks,

Shenghong

Daniel_H
Beginner

Hello Shenghong,

Sorry to bump this thread, but did you by any chance got a workaround or patch so far? I'm stuck on using g++, and missing some speed improvements from icpc.

Thanks,

Daniel

Roberto_N_
Beginner

Try to use the member function .eval(), which in words of the API Reference "explicitly forces the evaluation of a delayed expression and outputs a matrix" (armadillo 3.2 or greater). For example,

#include <armadillo> //using armadillo5.000.2

using namespace std;
using namespace arma;

int main()
{
  complex<double> c = 2.0;
  cx_mat33 A = randu<cx_mat>(3,3);

A = (A*c).eval();  
  return 0;
}

I tested this code with icpc and g++-4.8.     On the other hand, icpc will fail if I use A = A*c instead, where I get the following error:

icpc program.cc -o program -larmadillo
program.cc(8): error: more than one operator "=" matches these operands:
            function template "const arma::Mat<arma::cx_double> &arma::Mat<eT>::operator=(const arma::eOp<T1, eop_type> &) [with eT=arma::cx_double]"
            function template "const arma::Mat<arma::cx_double> &arma::Mat<eT>::fixed<fixed_n_rows, fixed_n_cols>::operator=(const arma::eOp<T1, eop_type> &) [with eT=arma::cx_double, fixed_n_rows=3U, fixed_n_cols=3U]"
            operand types are: arma::cx_mat33 = const arma::eOp<arma::cx_mat33, arma::eop_scalar_times>
    A = (A*c);
      ^

Hope this helps,

Roberto Navarro.

Daniel_H
Beginner

Hello Roberto,

Thanks a bunch for that solution. It will save me until a regular fix will be found.

Daniel

Max_G_1
Beginner

Hi, I just ran into the same issue with Armadillo and the Intel compiler. Thanks for sharing the work around, Roberto! Is there any progress on a fix of this issue? Max
Daniel_H
Beginner

Hello all,

Conrad Sanderson, one of the authors of armadillo, wrote a workaround (thanks a lot :-) in the new release (5.100.2) of the library. This avoids using the eval trick, which apparently has some potential performance issues.

Daniel

Hi Max, Daniel,

This issue is fixed in latest 2015 U3 release. Please upgrade your compiler and let me know if it is not fixed for you.

$ source /opt/intel/composer_xe_2015.3.187/bin/compilervars.sh intel64
$ icc temp.cpp -I armadillo-4.650.2/include
$ ./a.out
$

Thanks,

Shenghong

Daniel_H
Beginner

Thanks Shenghong,

Unfortunately my license seems having expired and I cannot upgrade. My institution mainframe set-up is out of my control but I'll ask if they plan to upgrade soon. Otherwise I'll investigate on buying a local license.

Daniel