Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Problem updating projects to use Intel C++

iccuser
Beginner
When trying to update the project files of the attached program, I'm getting the following error and most of the project files are not updated to use Intel C++:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
The "ConfigurationGeneral" rule is missing the "PlatformToolset" property.
OK

Any ideas what might be wrong?

I'm using Intel Parallel Composer 12 update 4 with VS2010 SP1.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee
Thanks for the problem report and the test case. I will investigate and gat back to you.

--mark
0 Kudos
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee

I get an error "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive" when trying to unzip your test case. Could you please check the file and resubmit.

Thanks,
--mark

0 Kudos
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee
Both Winzip and Jzip could not open the original file that you had attached, but the .7z worked fine, and I was able to reproduce the error. I willinvestigate further and get back to you.

0 Kudos
iccuser
Beginner
WinRAR and 7-ZIP work fine and I don't see why would one use WinZIP :P
I will wait for your reply.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee
The cause of the error is that some of the projects in your workspace (e.g. libavcodec_gcc) are of type "Makefile" projects that the Intel compiler does not support. The Intel compiler only supports C++ project types. Makefile project are tied to custom build rules (e.g. like gccbuild_2010.bat) which setup build rules and options, and the LIB, BIN, INCLUDE directories for the compiler they use. To build a Makefile project with the Intel compiler you will need to have similar build rules that set up the build environment for the Intel C++ compiler.

If you tried to updateyour project to build with Intel compiler in VS2008 you would get the message below which is more clear than theerror message you are getting in VS2010:

Projects failed to update:

MakefileProj -- Unsupported Project Type. Intel C++ does not support the Visual C++ makefile project type.

I will file a report to change the message we display in VS2010.

--mark

0 Kudos
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee
I should add that when you try to update the .sln file to build with the Intel compiler, you will get the error message mentioned above for the Makefile projects, but all the C++ projects will be updated. When the update step is complete you should be able to rebuild your entire projects. The Makefile projects will stay unchanged so they will be built in accordance with their associated build rules. The C++ project types will be built with the Intel compiler.

--mark
0 Kudos