Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Problem with environment variables

Rodrigo_B_
Beginner

Hello, I installed the intel compiler without much problem, but I'm having some problems with the variables

I did run the script like this:

source /opt/intel/bin/iccvars.sh ia32

Then I can run the compiler with no problems, but always when I exit the terminal I have to run the iccvars.sh script again because the terminal says that he won't find the icpc command.

I guess it's a problem with the variables, but I can't figure out what problem it is

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

This is intentional.  In accordance with documentation if you want environment set every time shell opens you will add the source command e.g. in .profile

0 Kudos
Rodrigo_B_
Beginner

Didn't think that was intentional, I will try set it on the .profile.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Shenghong_G_Intel

Hi Rodrigo,

This is something related to environment variable concept in Linux. There are 3 kind of settings if I did not miss:

1. export xx=value, on terminal: this will set it on current terminal only and will "disappear" in a new terminal.

2. export xx=value, in user's profile file (like ~/.profile, or ~/.bash_profile) depends on your Linux. This will set it for a specific user, when the user login, it will be available.

3. export xx=value, in system-wide (in /etc/profile file). This will set it for all users on a specific machine.

What the "source iccvar.sh" really have done are, to set some environment variables like "PATH". So, it may not be intentional by our compiler, but intentional by Linux. :) Hope it is more clear now.

For your references: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/environment_variables

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos