Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Problme installing Composer XE 2013 SP1 on Linux Mint 14

eldiener
New Contributor I

After adding appropriate support packages I was able to install Intel Composer XE 2013 on Linux Mint 14. Linux Mint 14 is distro whose base implementation whose is Ubuntu 12.04, which is one of the installation prerequisites for Inte Composer XE 2013.

However when I try to install Composer XE 2013 SP1, I get the message:

"32-bit libraries not found on this system.
This product release requires the presence of 32-bit compatibility libraries
when running on Intel(R) 64 architecture systems. One or more of these libraries
could not be found:
    libstdc++ (including libstdc++6)
    glibc
    libgcc
Without these libraries, the compiler and the debugger will not function
properly.  Please refer to Release Notes for more information."

Yet in installing the Intel Composer XE 2013 product successfully I installed all the 32-bit libraries that were mentioned at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-compilers-for-linux-with-ubuntu.

Does anyone know how I can determine what 32-bit requirements are needed for the SP1 update that were not needed for the base Intel Composer XE 2013 install so that I can install the update successfully ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi,

That is a warning message rather than an error message.  You may ignore it and continue the installation.  Please check if 32-bit icc works after your installation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Installation of icc ia32 on an x86_64 OS requires that both g++ 64- and 32-bit are installed.  Assuming that mint is modeled after Ubuntu, it also requires the (unsupported) facility of icc installer recognizing that style of linux.  I see no reason why the SP1 (use the update 1, not the original SP1) would not work if the earlier xe2013 was working in the same mode.  

Did you mean to install only the Intel64 compiler, but neglect to uncheck the box for 32-bit compiler?  Installation of both ia32 and intel64 compilers, as well as MKL for Intel(r) Xeon Phi(tm) were added as defaults with SP1 so you must find the options and uncheck them if you don't want them.  The on-line installation won't save time if you don't remove unwanted components.

If you were actually running both intel64 and ia32 icc with xe2013, but can't do it with SP1, I think filing a problem report would be justified, even though mint isn't supported.

0 Kudos
eldiener
New Contributor I

Feilong H (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

That is a warning message rather than an error message.  You may ignore it and continue the installation.  Please check if 32-bit icc works after your installation.

Thanks.

I continued after the message and the installed completed successfully. I then used both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and both worked correctly. I have no idea why the Intel installer for 2013 SP1 tells me that I am missing 32-bit components when there was nothing wrong.

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

eldiener,

I agree that it is very confusing.  I'm entering this issue to our problem-tracking database.  An engineer from installation team will look at it soon.

Thanks.

0 Kudos