Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Project fails to compile after 2015 Update 1

dnesteruk
Beginner

I've just applied Update 1 of the 2015 toolset and now cannot even build projects. I'm getting the following message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler XE 15.0\Toolset.targets(150,5): error : Could not expand ICInstallDir variable. Platform toolset may be set to an invalid version number.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
dnesteruk
Beginner

Trying to repair, but the installer says:

Repair can't be done because no available sources were found

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

My experience has been that I had to remove all 2015 versions and install intel compilers from scratch both under win7 and 8.1

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

I had similar issue when I installed ICC 15.0 first release, and again after installing Update 1.

It broke "c:\program files (x86)\msbuild\" directory.

I managed this to do daily backup twice a day, and restored it from backup. Old version works just fine. I can't guarantee it will work correctly in your environment, but I will attach 7z-ipped MSBuild directory for you to give it a try, but don't forget to backup old one, i.e. rename original to "MSBuild.bak" first.

My environment is for MSVC 2013 Ultimate, Win 8.1 Pro x64. also, I have ICC 14.0 Update 6 and ICC 15.0 Update 1 installed, but if your system is missing ICC 14.0.x, as rules in my setup (attached file) for it are included, it will cause no harm.

It's worth to give it a try. See attach "Program_Files_(x86)_MSBuild.7z".

PS: please, give me a feedback.

0 Kudos
dnesteruk
Beginner

I really don't think that reinstalling everything is a viable option for me and I think that's using those files that you've posted will be last resort option I am wondering therefore if somebody at Intel it's actually aware of the situation and whether they have any advice for how to remedy this since it looks like I'm not the only one who's actually experiencing this problem

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

dnesteruk wrote:

I really don't think that reinstalling everything is a viable option for me and I think that's using those files that you've posted will be last resort option I am wondering therefore if somebody at Intel it's actually aware of the situation and whether they have any advice for how to remedy this since it looks like I'm not the only one who's actually experiencing this problem

I saw bug report in this forum few weeks ago, but I am unable to find it in inbox, but it was unanswered by Intel at that moment. Just try my workaround, and let me know whether it is working well, because @Tim's suggestion to reinstall Windows is very costly...

0 Kudos
dnesteruk
Beginner

I didn't think I can do this safely. The problem is that this directory probably contains all the customizations that I've added from various packages such as CUDA and if I were to replace this directory with your files I could lose the support of some of the project types that I previously had.

So I'm hoping that somebody from Intel would pay attention to this post and maybe suggest a workaround that doesn't involve me altering my system in any significant way.

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

can you build a new helloworld project with Intel C++ successfully?

is it possible to attach the .vcxproj file? you can use send author a msg to send the file directly.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

dnesteruk wrote:

I didn't think I can do this safely. The problem is that this directory probably contains all the customizations that I've added from various packages such as CUDA and if I were to replace this directory with your files I could lose the support of some of the project types that I previously had.

So I'm hoping that somebody from Intel would pay attention to this post and maybe suggest a workaround that doesn't involve me altering my system in any significant way.

From my experience, you only need to replace directory content and sub-dirs in the file I attached "c:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\" <- that is for MSVC 2013.

It should not interfere/kill CUDA, or maybe if so, you will only need to reinstall CUDA.

Please, give it a try and let me know.

0 Kudos
dnesteruk
Beginner

Jennifer J. (Intel) wrote:

can you build a new helloworld project with Intel C++ successfully?

is it possible to attach the .vcxproj file? you can use send author a msg to send the file directly.

Jennifer

I have just sent you a file. I am unable to build a fresh project, too.

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

But I recommend to backup old MSBuild, replace it from attached file, and then reinstall CUDA; or even better, first uninstall CUDA, replace MSBuild, and install CUDA again.

0 Kudos
dnesteruk
Beginner

Marián "VooDooMan" Meravý wrote:

But I recommend to backup old MSBuild, replace it from attached file, and then reinstall CUDA; or even better, first uninstall CUDA, replace MSBuild, and install CUDA again.

CUDA is only one of a number of packages that I use. The suggestion to reinstall them all is unrealistic.

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Okay, I have sent working MSBuild, and when you don't want to give it a chance, just to only try it, then I cannot give you more help. So your only chance is to reinstall Windows, if you refuse *just and only* to give it a try. I'm sorry that I wanted helped you, as you don't read me.

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Marián "VooDooMan" Meravý wrote:

Okay, I have sent working MSBuild, and when you don't want to give it a chance, just to only try it, then I cannot give you more help. So your only chance is to reinstall Windows, if you refuse *just and only* to give it a try. I'm sorry that I wanted helped you, as you don't read me.

I am sorry to be so rude, but you even have not give it a chance...

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Thanks for helping out!

Now the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 1 Professional Edition is available from the download center now. please download it and try again.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Stuart_M
Beginner

Update 1 removed my Parallel Studio compilers instead of updating them! WTF Intel! QA testing?

0 Kudos
dnesteruk
Beginner

Yes, I think that's exactly what happened - instead of upgrading the compilers, Update 1 actually removes them. That's why I couldn't find any of those IPS-specific directories anymore.

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

I needed reinstalled my Win 8.1, and my file with MSBuild as attachment in this thread doesn't work any more. I get same error as original poster wrote.

Could please someone attach C:\program files (x86)\MSbuild (from x64 platform) zipped or 7-zipped of working MSVC 2013 (V120) Update 4 and ICC 15.0 Update 1 ?

TIA!

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

I resolved problem in my CMD script by using:

set Path=c:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Bin\;%Path%

instead of non-working:

set Path=c:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Bin\amd64\;%Path%

This works for x64 target as well.

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Sorry, false alarm.

After installing the update, I get same error as @dnesteruk reported.

The solution is to uninstall compiler, and install one before last version.

0 Kudos