Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Qt5 build error shared array can't have dynamic allocation

Rich_F_1
New Contributor I

Hello

I'm trying to build Qt5 and have the following error.

../../include/QtQml/5.2.0/QtQml/private/../../../../../src/qml/jsruntime/qv4object_p.h(208): internal error: assertion failed at: "shared/cfe/edgcpfe/lower_init.c", line 3351

PropertyAttributes *newAttrs = new PropertyAttributes[arrayOffset + arrayAlloc];
                                           ^

I've filed a bug report QTBUG-36577

Appears to be a dynamic allocation issue according to this.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/369934/cuda-programming-and-performance/compiler-error/

here is the section of qv4object_p.h not sure how to rework it to avoid the problem.

void getArrayHeadRoom() {
        assert(!sparseArray && !arrayOffset);
        arrayOffset = qMax(arrayDataLen >> 2, (uint)16);
        Property *newArray = new Property[arrayOffset + arrayAlloc];
        memcpy(newArray + arrayOffset, arrayData, arrayDataLen*sizeof(Property));
        delete [] arrayData;
        arrayData = newArray + arrayOffset;
        if (arrayAttributes) {
            PropertyAttributes *newAttrs = new PropertyAttributes[arrayOffset + arrayAlloc];
            memcpy(newAttrs + arrayOffset, arrayAttributes, arrayDataLen*sizeof(PropertyAttributes));
            delete [] arrayAttributes;
            arrayAttributes = newAttrs + arrayOffset;
        }
    }

here is the full icpc call.

gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.2.0/qtdeclarative/src/qml'
icpc -c -O0 -g -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -std=c++0x -fno-exceptions -w1 -Wall -Wcheck -wd1572,873,2259,2261 -D_REENTRANT -D_REENTRANT -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -fno-jump-tables -DQT_NO_URL_CAST_FROM_STRING -DQT_NO_INTEGER_EVENT_COORDINATES -DQT_BUILD_QML_LIB -DQT_BUILDING_QT -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII -DQT_ASCII_CAST_WARNINGS -DQT_MOC_COMPAT -DQT_USE_QSTRINGBUILDER -DQT_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS -DQT_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_BEFORE=0x050000 -DWTF_EXPORT_PRIVATE= -DJS_EXPORT_PRIVATE= -DWTFReportAssertionFailure=qmlWTFReportAssertionFailure -DWTFReportBacktrace=qmlWTFReportBacktrace -DWTFInvokeCrashHook=qmlWTFInvokeCrashHook -DENABLE_LLINT=0 -DENABLE_DFG_JIT=0 -DENABLE_DFG_JIT_UTILITY_METHODS=1 -DENABLE_JIT_CONSTANT_BLINDING=0 -DBUILDING_QT__ -DWTF_USE_UDIS86=0 -DQT_NO_EXCEPTIONS -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I/usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.2.0/qtbase/mkspecs/linux-icc-64 -I. -I../../include -I../../include/QtQml -I../../include/QtQml/5.2.0 -I../../include/QtQml/5.2.0/QtQml -I../3rdparty/masm/jit -I../3rdparty/masm/assembler -I../3rdparty/masm/runtime -I../3rdparty/masm/wtf -I../3rdparty/masm/stubs -I../3rdparty/masm/stubs/wtf -I../3rdparty/masm -I../3rdparty/masm/disassembler -I../3rdparty/masm/disassembler/udis86 -Icompiler -I. -Ijsruntime -I. -I../3rdparty/double-conversion -Ianimations -I/usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.2.0/qtbase/include -I/usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.2.0/qtbase/include/QtNetwork -I/usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.2.0/qtbase/include/QtCore/5.2.0 -I/usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.2.0/qtbase/include/QtCore/5.2.0/QtCore -I/usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.2.0/qtbase/include/QtCore -I.moc -o .obj/moc_qqmllocale_p.o .moc/moc_qqmllocale_p.cpp
../../include/QtQml/5.2.0/QtQml/private/../../../../../src/qml/jsruntime/qv4object_p.h(208): internal error: assertion failed at: "shared/cfe/edgcpfe/lower_init.c", line 3351

^

compilation aborted for .moc/moc_qqmllocale_p.cpp (code 4)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the test case. I have reproduced the assertion in our current compiler and entered a bug in our internal database as DPD200253124.

Below is a small reproducer of the problem. It seems to be triggered by your use of the -fno-exceptions switch ... is that switch necessary or are you just trying to reduce the compilation time or size of the executable?

Not using the -fnoexceptions switch seems like the only feasible workaround I can think of...

Sorry for the inconvenience. We will get this fixed ASAP.

Judy

sptxl8-313> cat bug.cpp
class QObject;

struct QMetaObject
{
    struct {
        typedef void (*StaticMetacallFunction)(QObject *);
        StaticMetacallFunction static_metacall;
    } d;
};

struct PropertyAttributes
{
    PropertyAttributes();
};

extern void __assert_fail (const char *);

struct Object
{
       int i = 5, j = 16;
       ((!i) ?  static_cast<void> (0) : __assert_fail(__PRETTY_FUNCTION__));
       new PropertyAttributes[j + i];
    }

};

struct QQmlLocale
{
    static const QMetaObject staticMetaObject;
};

const QMetaObject QQmlLocale::staticMetaObject = { { 0 } };

sptxl8-314> icpc -c -fno-exceptions -std=c++11 bug.cpp
bug.cpp(23): internal error: assertion failed at: "shared/cfe/edgcpfe/lower_init.c", line 3338

^

compilation aborted for bug.cpp (code 4)
sptxl8-315>

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Please provide the following:

(1) version of the compiler that you are using (do an icpc -V)

(2) Please attach a preprocessed file (add the -E or -P option to your command line) which shows the error.

thanks,

Judy

0 Kudos
Rich_F_1
New Contributor I

Hi Judy

I apologize for not including the compiler version with my query.  I did it the Qt bug report but slipped up here.

icpc -V
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 14.0.1.106 Build 20131008

uname -a
Linux  3.11.6-4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 30 18:04:56 UTC 2013 (e6d4a27) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Attached -E -dM output moc_qqmllocale_p.txt

Thank You for looking at this issue

Rich

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

Thanks Rich,

What I was looking for was the preprocessed file (the source file after all the headers have been included and macros expanded) not a list of the predefined macros. So please just add -E (without the -dM) to the compilation line and then send me the output. Then I should be able to reproduce the internal error and start working on it.

Example:

icpc -E (all the other command line options) bug.cpp >preprocessedbug.cpp

thanks again!

Judy

0 Kudos
Rich_F_1
New Contributor I

Hi Judy

Find attached -E output moc_qqmllocale_p_1.txt

Thank You

Rich

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the test case. I have reproduced the assertion in our current compiler and entered a bug in our internal database as DPD200253124.

Below is a small reproducer of the problem. It seems to be triggered by your use of the -fno-exceptions switch ... is that switch necessary or are you just trying to reduce the compilation time or size of the executable?

Not using the -fnoexceptions switch seems like the only feasible workaround I can think of...

Sorry for the inconvenience. We will get this fixed ASAP.

Judy

sptxl8-313> cat bug.cpp
class QObject;

struct QMetaObject
{
    struct {
        typedef void (*StaticMetacallFunction)(QObject *);
        StaticMetacallFunction static_metacall;
    } d;
};

struct PropertyAttributes
{
    PropertyAttributes();
};

extern void __assert_fail (const char *);

struct Object
{
       int i = 5, j = 16;
       ((!i) ?  static_cast<void> (0) : __assert_fail(__PRETTY_FUNCTION__));
    }

};

struct QQmlLocale
{
    static const QMetaObject staticMetaObject;
};

const QMetaObject QQmlLocale::staticMetaObject = { { 0 } };

sptxl8-314> icpc -c -fno-exceptions -std=c++11 bug.cpp
bug.cpp(23): internal error: assertion failed at: "shared/cfe/edgcpfe/lower_init.c", line 3338

^

compilation aborted for bug.cpp (code 4)
sptxl8-315>

0 Kudos
Rich_F_1
New Contributor I

Hi Judy

Thank you for addressing this issue so quickly.

Removing the -fno-exceptions switch allowed the compilation
to continue to the next unrelated error.

I've updated the QT bug report to reflect your solution.

Thank You Again
Rich

0 Kudos