Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

/QxHost does not define __SSE3__ etc. (running on an i7)

seaephpea
Beginner
Running in Visual Studio, /QxHost produces compiler warnings if /arch[whatever] is also in the command line. However, /QxHost does not seem to result in __SSE3__ etc. getting defined (even on processors supporting SSE3). Does ICC define something else instead of __SSE3__?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Tom,

The link below should give you a lot of information on /QxHost optimization switch which you use as an alternate to the /arch option for latest processors.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-sse-generation-and-processor-specific-optimizations-continue/

You can always generate the asm using the /S option and see what instructions are produced as /QxHost should generate using the latest SSE that's on the system. If not, it's a bug and you should file an issue accordingly, just FYI
-regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Kittur,
to clarify your answer, I believe you're saying that /QxHost would not set __SSE3__ when a processor is detected which supports more recent additions to the instruction set.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
I'll file a feature request for this.

Thanks,
Jennifer

0 Kudos
seaephpea
Beginner
I'll file a feature request for this.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Thanks a lot.

Tom
0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel

The issue is fixed in latest Intel C++ Composer XE 12.1. The composer is available for download from Intel download center.

Thanks,
Alex

0 Kudos