Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Reinstalling Intel Composer XE 2011 for Linux

stevenpclark
Beginner
I'm having trouble re-installing version 12 of the compiler (via Intel Composer XE 2011 for Linux) after previously removing an install.
The sequence of events was as follows:

1) Installed Intel Composer XE 2011 on Fedora 14 to a fresh /opt/intel directory
2) Decided I wanted to roll back to version 11.1, so I deleted /opt/intel directory
3) Installed 11.1 to fresh /opt/intel directory
4) Changed my mind again, wanted to return to v12, so I deleted /opt/intel directory
5) Attempted to install Intel Composer XE 2011 to fresh /opt/intel directory, but I receive the message ->

"The Intel Composer XE 2011 for Linux* is already installed.

If you want to reinstall the Intel Composer XE 2011 for Linux*
please uninstall current version and run install script again."

What remnant of the previous install is it detected, and how do I resolve this?

Thanks
0 Kudos
33 Replies
Lingfeng_C_Intel
Employee
Hi Steven,

You can't delete old version folder directly.
Please read release_notesC.pdf in 2.3 section about Removal/Uninstall for more details.

Thanks,
Wise
0 Kudos
chat1983
Beginner
0 Kudos
Fanglin__Sun
Beginner

I should have seen this information earlier. But I deleted the compose directory for fortran directly. Then what can I do in this case?

And I installed Ccomposexe then, no script called uninstall found. If there is somewhere keep some information about the installation?

0 Kudos
rosmondt
Beginner
I am having the same problem. Tried to reinstall Fortran Composer XE 2011 for Linux after deleting original /opt/intel directory but continue to get request to uninstall previous. I have the uninstall script for an 11.1 installation, but that only want to uninstall 11.1 components. How do I wipe the slate clean and start over?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Please try the following:

1. Download the uninst_12.0.084.tgz attachment from this reply and place on your system in /tmp
2. Become root (su or sudo), thencd /tmp
3. Unpack the file: tar -zxf uninst_12.0.084.tgz
4. Change into the new sub-directory: cd uninst_12.0.084
5. Execute the script: ./uninstall.sh

Please let me know if this is successful.

0 Kudos
rosmondt
Beginner
Kevin

Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. I ran the script as you advised, and asked it to uninstall all components. It seemed to run correctly, but when I tried the reinstall, I still get the same message to uninstall first. I ran your script again and this time it couldn't find anything to uninstall, which makes sense. It seems there is a signature of the previous install still buried somewhere on the system. I even deleted relevant messages in /var/log, but this didn't help.

T. Rosmond

0 Kudos
rosmondt
Beginner
Kevin,

I just noticed your script was for the 084 release, but I am trying to install release 107. That must be a problem, correct?

T. Rosmond
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Ok, so you have XE 2011 Update 1. It may matter. I'll bundle that and post shortly.

0 Kudos
sigurd_sigurdsson

Ok, so you have XE 2011 Update 1. It may matter. I'll bundle that and post shortly.

Kevin, could you please post that file asap as I have the same problem with uninstalling onXE 2011 Update 1. Thank you!
0 Kudos
sigurd_sigurdsson

up
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee
There may be issues with obtaining file uploads within private replies. So, let's try this public post too. Let me know if you get the file from here or the ftp.intel.com.

(Updated 12/10/2010: Attachment was removed)
0 Kudos
rosmondt
Beginner

Kevin,

I see your recent post that refers to 'uninst_12.1.107a.tgz'. I can't seem to download from that attachment. How can I get it?

T. Rosmond

0 Kudos
rosmondt
Beginner
Kevin,

Did this issue ever get resolved? I still haven't been able to re-install XE 2011 Update1.

T. Rosmond

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Hi T. Rosmond.

Yes it was resolved. Sorry for not seeing your earlier private post. We are not receiving notification of private replies in all cases.

I am private again here to share the details with you on how to resolve this.

Attachment downloads from the Forum are also still not fully functional, so grab the file from ftp.intel.com here: ftp://ftp.intel.com/pub/outgoing/uninst_12.1.107a.tgz

Next, following these instructions and make sure you do them as "root":

1. Download the uninst_12.1.107a.tgz and place on your system in /tmp
2. Unpack the file: tar -zxf uninst_12.1.107a.tgz
3. For files that should be in /tmp/uninst_12.1.107a, change the owner and group to be "root" using:

chgrp -R root /tmp/uninst_12.1.107a
chown -R root /tmp/uninst_12.1.107a

4. Next, create a directory with this command: mkdir -p /opt/intel/composerxe-2011.1.107/bin
5. Now copy the files into this directory with: cp -pR /tmp/uninst_12.1.107a/* /opt/intel/composerxe-2011.1.107/bin/
6. Now execute uninstall.sh using the full path like this: /opt/intel/composerxe-2011.1.107/bin/uninstall.sh

Keep me posted.

0 Kudos
rosmondt
Beginner
Kevin,

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately it looks like too much time has elapsed (only 24 hours according to the banner on the Intel ftp server), so uninst_12.1.107a.tgz is gone. Could you please put the file back and then notify me via e-mail (rosmond@reachone.com) so I can jump in and get the file before it vanishes again.

Thanks,

T. Rosmond

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee
Hi T. Rosmond,

I re-posted the file below to this forum thread reply, included a copy in the e-mail sent the address requested, and placed it onto ftp.intel.com at: ftp://ftp.intel.com/pub/outgoing/uninst_12.1.107a.tgz

Hopefully you can obtain it from one of these three options. Keep me posted.

Updated: User confirmed obtaining the file, un-installing/re-installing successfully. Attachment was intentionally removed.
0 Kudos
david-campbell
Beginner
Hi All, Kevin,
The file is gone again - can you repost and will this be fixed in future versions of Composer? I tried to move directories where I installed the software and it has turned into a nightmare trying to get rid of it - I've tried deleting everythin I can think of, I would have had to reinstall the OS if I couldn't fix this - Thanks!
David
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee
As I indicated, I intentionally removed the file. I don't want to leave it posted permanently.

There's nothing to fix since there's nothing broken. One cannot remove or movethe software without using the uninstall/install scripts.People are getting into troubleby removing the software with 'rm' and that's insufficient. The uinstall script performs a complete removal.

Ire-posted the file to this reply. If you did not install in /opt/intel and you are not using the 107 update, that matters, so please let me know the custom directory name and update you have.

Updated: User confirmed obtaining the file, un-installing/re-installing successfully. Attachment was intentionally removed.
0 Kudos
Saurabh_Pradhan1
Beginner
Hey,
i have also done the same mistake like you have done.
But get rid of this problem by doing this.
  1. Just use your Package Manager (e.g. gnome package manager or yum )and search for the "intel"
  2. Remove all software related IntelC++ Compiler, IntelMath Kernel Library, debuggers, composer X etc.
  3. Then try to install "Intel Composer XE 2011 for Linux"
Best of luck::
0 Kudos
scottgpearse
Beginner
I am also having no success uninstalling the package. However I have not deleted any directories in /opt/intel. I have read section 2.6 of the "Installation Guide and Release Notes", and I have no such subdirectory as ia32 (i am 32 bit), and there is no 'uninstall_cprof.sh' script on my machine.

Kevin, could you please re-post the uninstall script? I don't want to reinstall my OS.
0 Kudos