Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Release Dates for 2017 Update 5 or 2018 Update 1

William_D_2
Beginner

Just accidentally update Visual Studio from 15.2 to 15.3. This broke the integration components for the Windows edition. I know the fixes will be available in either of the two editions listed above. Is there any known release schedule for the student non-commercial user licensees? My thesis project depended on this and because I can't roll back the Visual studio install I am hoping you can help me out.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
jase439
Beginner

Hi William,

Please check out this whitepaper:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-tools-integration-to-vs2017-issue

Specifically, the section:

Integration to Visual Studio 2017 version 15.3 on Windows 10

Failing this, I would rerun the .visx installer packages in the folders noted in this article.

I am running VS2017 15.3.3 successfully, but had to install all the integration packages by hand. :( It is shameful that this problem has been allowed to persist for this long.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
William_D_2
Beginner

I have also had problems getting Amplifier XE installed on my system since i tried reinstalling VS. Is this also resolved in this manner.

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

Amplifier, et. al. have updates which should come down through the Intel Software Update Manager. The latest updates of these products (update 4 or 5) should restore the integration of the tools with the IDE.

I think Amplifier XE Update 5 was just released recently. The others are at Update 4.

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

I am stuck in this nightmare with Visual Studio 2017 15.3.5

Parallel Studio 2017 Update 4 fails to install into VS2017, and Studio 2018  installer just HANGS at the visual studio 2017 integration step. Cancelling the 2018 installation  leads down a black hole of waiting for the complete installation to "rollback".

As the original poster said - we need a 2017 Update 5 and 2018 Update 1 pronto!

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Here is some useful information for people if you try and install Parallel Studio 2018 into Visual Studio 2017. As I noted above, it will "hang" at the VS 2017 Integration step. If you hit cancel, the installation "rolls back". Unfortunately, it left a big mess behind and made my Visual Studio 2015 with Parallel Studio 2015 unusable.  I uninstalled/reinstalled Parallel Studio 2015 but things were still messed up.

A newer C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Intel.Build.ICLTasks.v140.dll is left behind by the Parallel Studio 2018 installation. This needs to be deleted manually after uninstalling Parallel Studio 2015. Also look for any and all Intel.* files in your VIsual Studio directory and delete those before reinstalling.

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

Can we please get an official word from Intel on Visual Studio 2017 integration support? Can owners of Intel 17 or 18 expect an update which addresses the abhorrent integration issues? If so, what is the anticipated time frame for said update?

I am reluctant to spend any more money extending my support contract if the product isn't actually being supported.

0 Kudos
William_D_2
Beginner

I can actually answer this one. 

If you read the white paper, in the first response. The 2017 Update 5 should have repaired integration issues. It also states that 2018 Update 1 will repair the 2018 build. It also provides solutions and other workarounds. 

I personally have not tested 2017 Update 5. By the time this came out, I was able to get a VS 15.0 installer and install 2018 then re-update to 15.3. This seemed to work for me but mileage will vary.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

In my view of registrationcenter.intel.com (or by running ism) I don't see a 2017u5 for Windows, although I have installed the linux one.  I haven't tried tempting fate by running any Visual Studio updates since 2017u4 came out.

In order to get access to psxe2018 for Windows, I had to re-enter the license key (which was still visible in ism) at registrationcenter, but that didn't make any newer 2017 visible.  The 2017u4 continued to work.

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

I don't see an update 5 for 2017 either for Windows. URL?

0 Kudos
William_D_2
Beginner

I guess you are right. There was no Windows 2017 U5. I assume it will be out next month with the 2018 U1 release (knowledge from another post about a library error). My guess is the delay is probably due to the integrations, which is not a problem for the linux releases.

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

The Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 5 has released. You can download it from Intel Registration Center.

The issue with VS2017 v15.3 is resolved.

If you encounter anything wrong, really appreciated if you could report it to Intel Online Service Center.

Thank you!

Jennifer

How to report an issue at Intel Online Service Center: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-create-a-support-request-at-online-service-center
Intel Registration Center: https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Register.aspx

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

Hot off the presses, indeed!

Downloading now. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the response, Jennifer.

PS. This thread should be stickied or comparable announcement made. A lot of people waiting on this update.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I got the emails about 2017u5.  The full download for offline installation didn't work for me on Windows 8.1.  After several tries, the online installation did go through.   Apparently, you must be there when the prompts start to come up an hour or 2 after successful start of download.  The menu showed that it would integrate only with VS2012, with the others greyed out, but the VS2017 integration appears to be OK.  2017u4 was apparently left in place to be uninstalled separately. I made the mistake of removing the expanded u4 download files after a failed upgrade.

There appear to be some Cilk (tm) Plus performance bug fixes in this release, so I guess it has to be the forever preferred version now that that syntax is deprecated and going to seed in the 2018 and following.

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

I installed Update 5 through the Intel Software Manager (ISM) and everything went as expected for me (for the first time since moving to Visual Studio 2017).

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Now all we need is 2018 Update 1.

I for one am now very wary of running any Visual Studio 2017 Updates ( I notice 15.5 is around the corner). Can Intel make a statement about compatibility? Obviously MS broke something in 15.3 for a number of extensions - they might do it again!

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

There was nothing special about VS2017 15.3. ICC 2017 never integrated into Visual Studio 2017 properly from the get go.

Also curious about the status of ICC 2018 Update 1 though.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I was able to install 2015u5 on win10 from full download integrated into vs2012 13 15 17. Minimal c++ Fortran mkl and no more libraries exceeds 5GB for 64 bit only.
0 Kudos
Royi
Novice

It seems the 2018 Release is really buggy.
There are many integration and compatibility issues.

Non of our projects which worked perfectly on VS 2013 and Intel Compiler 2015 (Latest update) works on VS 2017 and Intel Compiler 2018 Update 1.
This is a nightmare.

0 Kudos
Sergey_quixoticaxis_

18.1 broke all my projects with VS 15.4. Something is wrong with math headers.
I'm new to using Intel C++ compiler (so my first experience was with VS2017) and I still had not a single installation/update that went as expected =(

0 Kudos
Royi
Novice

Sergey quixoticaxis Ivanov wrote:

18.1 broke all my projects with VS 15.4. Something is wrong with math headers.
I'm new to using Intel C++ compiler (so my first experience was with VS2017) and I still had not a single installation/update that went as expected =(

This is exactly what we're experiencing in:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/748690

Something is totally broken with this release.

0 Kudos