Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Remote monitoring errors

roger567
New Contributor I

About every 15-20 minutes, Windows puts up an error "Remote monitoring client has stopped working".

Event viewer shows the errors always come from intelremotemonagent2.exe

With details such as this:

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.321, time stamp: 0x57f4c4f0
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000017788
Faulting process ID: 0x13e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d245ba8bec54ba
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Intel Software Manager\intel64\intelremotemonagent2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 6756352f-97ff-4b15-8706-ddc883a6b6f8

I am using Intel C++ compiler under Visual Studio 2015, but locally not remotely and the timing of the errors doesn't seem to correspond to a particular action of mine.

What is this and how do I stop it happening?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Igor_V_Intel
Employee

It looks like there is a problem with intelremotemonagent service - part of the Intel® Software Improvement program functionality.
During the installation you selected an option 'Yes, I am willing to participate and improve Intel software.' in Intel® Software Improvement Program, so, Intel periodically receive information about how you use Intel produces. Note that this Intel® Software Improvement program is a software part of Intel® Software Manager (tool which is a part of the C++ installation package and allows to update the compiler with latest versions.). Note that on Windows the Intel® Software Manager cannot be uninstalled independently of the products which use it. Intel® Software Manager will be automatically uninstalled when all the products which use it are uninstalled.
You may disable intelremotemonagent using Intel® Software Manager settings. Find the corresponding icon in the tray, right click and select  Settings. Then click on 'Usage Data Options' and uncheck 'I want to participate in Intel® Software Improvement program...' box.

0 Kudos
roger567
New Contributor I

Thanks Igor,

I am reasonably sure that I deselected "I want to participate..." at installation and if I look now at Settings in Software Manager the option you mentioned is not ticked.

Should we assume that intelremotemonagent2 is the source of the errors or merely the messenger, talking locally to Event Viewer rather than Intel? 

0 Kudos
Igor_V_Intel
Employee

I double checked with the developers - the process is still running even with unchecked setting, but it doesn't collect or do anything.
So, it should be safe to delete all the files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Intel Software Manager folder with names starting with intelremotemon*. It will prevent the processes to start.

The reason of the problem may be in the corrupted .NET framework installed on your machine.

0 Kudos
roger567
New Contributor I

Thanks Igor,

I deleted them, rebooted and a few minutes later got the same error from the same deleted process!

A search of the C: drive revealed intelremotemon2.exe copies in

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Intel Software Manager\intel64
  • C:\Users\roger\AppData\Local\Intel Corporation\ism_current\intel64
  • C:\Users\roger\AppData\Local\Intel Corporation\ism_current

Does your developer team think it is safe to delete them too?

Thanks

Roger

0 Kudos
roger567
New Contributor I

Also as you suggested that .NET might be corrupted, I uninstalled all .NET versions on my machine and then repaired Visual Studio to put them back.

The error still persists nonetheless.

0 Kudos
roger567
New Contributor I

I deleted all 4 copies of intelremotemon2.exe and related files and the errors have stopped, or at least stopped being reported.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
bevin_b_
New Contributor I

I am seeing the same problem   VS Community Edition 2015 with the 2017 Parallel Studio Pro

A very freshly installed system with no other indications of problems

I doubt the .NET corruption explanation - I think it is something in the Intel code

0 Kudos
roger567
New Contributor I

Hi Bevin,

I also doubt the .NET explanation. 
Deleting all the version of the reporting programme did the trick, but seems a very unsatisfactory answer.

One theory I had was that it was Norton Antivirus. It seemed to take a dislike to many files from Intel and quarantined them without informing me (I found them quarantined later).

Out of curiosity, are you using Norton Antivirus?

0 Kudos
Eric_P_Intel
Employee

I have also had this problem on ALL of my Win10 development systems - at least 5 different systems.  It is very annoying, and very unlikely to be related to corrupted .NET installations.  I saw this error recently even after freshly installing Win10 1607, then VS2015 u3, then Intel Composer XE 2017 u1 - nothing else to blame the issue on.  None of my systems had Norton Antivirus.  I have one system running Windows Server 2012 r2 with IPS XE 2016 u4 where I have not seen this issue.

Roger567 - I'm glad you took the time to report this!

0 Kudos
bevin_b_
New Contributor I

The problem is still present in 2017 Update 2

ps:  No - I am using not using Norton or Mcafee

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

Our engineers have identified the issue. It is slated to be fixed in the next version of ISM. In Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018 beta Update 1 and in Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 5.

Noga

0 Kudos