Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Requirements for Intel C++ Composer for Windows

Vitali_Haravy
Beginner
Hello.

My firm is using Intel MKL and Intel IPP for about a year to build DLL to be called from .NET. Now, I'm trying to decide whether we should continue using MKL & IPP or buy Intel C++ Composer and build mentioned DLL using it. This is fact, that using Intel C++ Composer will allow us to build more fast and reliable routines. But it appears that Intel C++ Composer require Visual Studio to be installed in order to build DLL for IA32 and Intel64 architectures. It is true even in case when you want to build application from command line (batch file compilervars.bat finished with error saying that VS2005, VS2008 or VS2010 should be installed). I don't see any reason why. In fact, the DLL I am going to build does not depend on Microsoft VC++ Runtime. Can somebody explain such behavior?

P.S. Of course I can set environment variables by myself without invoking compilervars.bat, but I wonder why I can't do it using officially provided way.

Thanks,
Vitali.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JenniferJ
Try the instructions from this article -"ERROR: Visual Studio 2005, 2008 or 2010 is not found in the system" when launching Intel 64 command prompt from Start menu.
Jennifer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JenniferJ

The Intel C++ Compiler ultilizes the linker/libraries/headers of Visual C++. But you only develop from a command line, you can use the free VC express edition & the SDK. See the article with detailed requirements.

The Intel C++ Composer XE for Windows comes with Intel MKL & IPP too.

You can use the "compilervars.bat" to set up your env. Read the script, it needs proper parameters.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Vitali_Haravy
Beginner
I have Microsoft SDK 7.1 installed. When I run "compilervars.bat" I have got an error. It appears due to the following code in "compilervars_arch.bat":

if defined VS100COMNTOOLS (
if exist "%VS100COMNTOOLS%..\IDE\devenv.exe" (
if exist "%VS100COMNTOOLS%..\..\VC\vcvarsall.bat" (
set MSVS_VAR_SCRIPT="%VS100COMNTOOLS%..\..\VC\vcvarsall.bat"
goto Calls
)
)
)
call :no_vs 2005, 2008 or 2010

As you may see it checks for existence of DevEnv.exe.

0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Try the instructions from this article -"ERROR: Visual Studio 2005, 2008 or 2010 is not found in the system" when launching Intel 64 command prompt from Start menu.
Jennifer
0 Kudos
Vitali_Haravy
Beginner
Thanks for advice. I could modify compilervars.bat or compilervars_arch.bat by myself, I asked the question to know why it is so. I was afraid that there was some hidden reason. Anyway, your advice helped me a lot.

Thanks,
Vitali.
0 Kudos