Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Right Intel C++ compiler for 64-bit machine

polispip
Beginner

Hello,

I just installed the Intel® Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition for C++ Linux* (evaluation version) for my Ubuntu 14.04.2 machine running on a "Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 Processor Family" processor.

I don't understand if this is a 32-bit compiler or not. I'm worried about this since during the installation a message reporting the absence of some 32-bit libraries appears on the console. 

Since I'm interested to have the best performances (running time) of my code, does a 64-bit specific version exist for my machine?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,
When you run install.sh as below, make sure to disable the installation for 32 bit and install only for 64 target as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Select the architecture(s) where your applications will run. If unsure, accept

the default options below or see
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/about-target-architecture-selection-dur
ing-installation for more information.

Target Architecture(s) of your applications:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.    IA-32
2.    Intel(R) 64

3. Finish architecture selection [default]
===============

Now, disable the IA-32 option above by choosing 1. This way it'll only install for 64 bit targets.

Step 4 of 6 | Options > Architecture selection
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/about-target-architecture-selection-dur

1. [ ]    IA-32
2.    Intel(R) 64

-------------------------------------

After the above, continue the install. Hopefully you should not see any issue with 32 libs etc.

_Kittur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,
When you run install.sh as below, make sure to disable the installation for 32 bit and install only for 64 target as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.    IA-32
2.    Intel(R) 64

===============

Now, disable the IA-32 option above by choosing 1. This way it'll only install for 64 bit targets.

Step 4 of 6 | Options > Architecture selection

1. [ ]    IA-32
2.    Intel(R) 64

-------------------------------------

After the above, continue the install. Hopefully you should not see any issue with 32 libs etc.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

BTW, after installation you can check the version of the compiler installed by invoking "icc -V" command as follows:

%icc -V
Intel(R) C Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 15.0.2.164 Build 20150121
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
polispip
Beginner

thank you a lot!

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Glad to know it's resolved. Again, appreciate your interest in evaluating the product and ensuring you have the right compiler for the right platform as well! Also, your evaluation survey feedback after your evaluation is much appreciated by the product team for product improvement in future releases.

_Kittur

0 Kudos