Intel® C++ Compiler
Support and discussions for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
7749 Discussions

STLPort 5.0.2 with ICL 9.0 on Windows

bobh999
Beginner
My question is related to dynamic linking of the C runtime library. The back end I am using is MSVC 6 SP5. The Intel compiler supplies some libraries which appear to be CRT libs (libmm.dll, etc.). However, I thought that the MSVC librarieswere used. Does this mean that Intel uses its own CRT libraries? I couldn't find anything much about these Intel libs in the help file, only that they are there. How do these interact with the MSVC libraries?
I would like to statically link my applications and DLLs with the STLPort C++ libraries and link everything dynamically to MSVCRT.DLL. Is this possible? I don't want to have to distribute any 3rd party DLLs as part of my applications.
Thank you.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Black Belt
ICL preempts only a small part of MSVC run-time library. I think your question is about linking statically against all Intel compiler libraries, while linking dynamically against MSVCRT. Option -i-static, or, if not using the OpenMP library, -static-libcxa, should do it. You could use dumpbin /dependencies (IIRC) to verify that you have accomplished what you wish.
bobh999
Beginner

Thanks, Tim.

I think that would probably do it, although I still need tobuild and run the STLPort unit tests to ensure that everything works OK.

Apparently, libmmd.dll only preemts some (or a lot of!) of the math functions. My main worries are more concerning memory allocation and deallocation.

bobh999
Beginner

"Option -i-static, or, if not using the OpenMP library, -static-libcxa, should do it."

Isn't libcxa for Linux?

After going through the help file again, it appears that there is a file libmmds.lib which is the "Static math library built with /MD option".

Should I becompiling with"-static-libmmds" on Windows IA32, or how do I link to that file and not to libmmd.libwith /MD?

TimP
Black Belt
Bob,

Sorry about my linux orientation. I can only point out that you could name any static .lib you want explicitly, to force it to be used in place of the dynamic one.
bobh999
Beginner

Unfortunately, the Windows version of ICL doesn't seem to like any of the options you suggested (Warning: ignoring unknown command-line option ...[etc.])

But I can link everything separately and specify the libraries, it's just a lot more work that way.