Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Segmentation fault on Arch Linux when compiled with icpc

aytekinar
Beginner

Hey,

I am having problems when trying to run an icpc-compiled program. I know Intel compilers are not officially supported on my platform, but I would appreciate if you helped me solve the problem. 

icc -v

gives

icc version 16.0.3 (gcc version 6.1.1 compatibility)

Thank you!

P.S: Since I have spent enough effort in writing the problem in the above-provided link, I did not want to write it again here. Should you require me to write it for some reason, please let me know --- I will be more than happy to rewrite.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

It could be the same problem -- Are you seeing the problem with 16.0 update 3? If so did 16.0 update 2 used to work correctly?

Does it work if you use static instead of dynamic libraries? The problem with Ubuntu seems to be with loading the dynamic libraries into the address space.

Judy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

It works for me using the latest icpc compiler (version 16.0) on Redhat .

sptxl15-68> uname -a
Linux sptxl15 2.6.32-71.el6.i686 #1 SMP Wed Sep 1 01:26:34 EDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
sptxl15-69> cat doit
icpc -Wall -c -fPIC -I include -o liblib1.o src/lib1/lib1.cpp
icpc -Wall -shared -o liblib1.so liblib1.o
icpc -Wall -c -fPIC -I include -o liblib2.o src/lib2/lib2.cpp
icpc -Wall -shared -o liblib2.so liblib2.o
icpc -Wall -o main.out -I include -L ./ -llib1 -llib2 src/main.cpp
sptxl15-70> ./doit
sptxl15-71> ./main.out
Lib1::VERSION() :v0.0.2
Lib2::VERSION() :v0.0.1
Lib1::function1(x, y): 2
sptxl15-72> which icpc
/site/spt/usr13/jward4/workspaces/16_0cfe/dev/build_objs/x86linux_debug/bin/icpc
sptxl15-73>

We have no computers with an "Arch Linux" operating system available to reproduce the problem.

0 Kudos
aytekinar
Beginner

Thank you Judith --- I assume I have something wrong with my system configurations, then. This might also be related to this problem. I am providing strace and valgrind log files just in case you might have some time to have a look at and provide me with some useful information.

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

It could be the same problem -- Are you seeing the problem with 16.0 update 3? If so did 16.0 update 2 used to work correctly?

Does it work if you use static instead of dynamic libraries? The problem with Ubuntu seems to be with loading the dynamic libraries into the address space.

Judy

0 Kudos
aytekinar
Beginner

Hey again, Judith,

1. Unfortunately, 16.0.3 is the first (and only) version I have played with Intel tools regarding such a scenario,
  2. Yes, it does work with static linking.

EDIT: I have tried installing 16.0.2 as per recommended, and now I have a working program. Thanks!

0 Kudos