Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Several tips on using the Intel C++ Compiler for Windows

JenniferJ

1. Many users are using the IntelC from command line. But if you've got several version of Visual C++ installed, the IntelC's menu only provides one command window with one version of VC support. Recently we published a FAQ on how to create multiple command windows to support different versions of Visual C++. The FAQ is at "http://support.intel.com/support/performancetools/sb/CS-022992.htm".

2. About the Intel C++ Compiler, two files are important to the environment: iclvars.bat, icl.cfg. When you see any strang things from command window, check the iclvars.bat & icl.cfg to make sure the commands & directories are valid there.

3. Some users couldn't get the IDE integration to work, it's either the "Convert to use Intel C++ Project System" not there, or the property page couldn't be loaded, etc. In those cases, you can try the following to see if it helps:

• close all the VC
  • open any command window and go to "C:Program FilesIntelCompilerVS IntegrationC++VS2005" or (2003)
  • unregister the 3 dll files 3 times: "regsvr32 /u /s dll-name"
  • register the 3 dll file 1 time: "regsvr32 /s dll-name"
  • run the proper devenv: "devenv /setup"

4. When using the IntelC within VC IDE (2003 or 2005), if the project A is depended by another project B, normally when compiling project B, it should link A automatically. But once project A is converted to IntelC, the project B won't link A automatically so you get lots of unresolved symbols. It's because of a limitation in VC. The work around is to add A.lib to the B's link manually.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JenniferJ

About the item #4 above, there's a work around that helps easy the manual work.

With the compiler update w_cc_c_9.1.032, there's a menu item "Check Dependencies" added when you right click on a vc project. When you select it, it will display all the projects that this vc project is depending on into the "output" window. So you can just copy/paste the .lib to this project's link input.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
intvs2005
Beginner
The ide integration of vs2005 don't work, and this method don't work for me. I'm using wcc_9.1_032.I have visual studio sdk installed
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

If you have VC2005 Express, the IDE integration won't work. Other editions, the IDE integration should work.

Did you follow the steps in the item3 above?

Jennifer

0 Kudos
uday
Beginner

Hello Friends,

I am trying to build an OpenMP sample on VC6 (on Windows) and this is the error I am getting.

Linking...

xilink6: executing 'C:PROGRA~1MICROS~4VC98Binlink.exe'

openmpsample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _omp_get_thread_num

openmpsample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _omp_get_num_threads

Debug/helloworld.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals

Error executing xilink6.exe.

I think just adding omp.h, vcomp.lib and vcomp.dll to the VC installation should solve the problem. If I am correct then please tell me where I could get those headers and libs from. And please tell me what else is needed to be done if I am wrong.

Thank You,

- Uday

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Depending on how you built the program (/MD or /MT), you should add one of the following libs to the linker:

libguide.lib
libguide40.lib

Those libs are under "C:Program FilesIntelCompilerC++9.1IA32Lib".

Jennifer

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Jennifer's answer assumes that Intel C++ is in use,with the option /Qopenmp . In that case, icl should take care of the linking the appropriate libguide. Microsoft doesn't supply their own OpenMP support in VC6, so icl is the most likely option.
0 Kudos