Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Slow license check

samuel_p_
Beginner

Hi,

Here i have the same behaviour: when i try to compile the compiler tooks a long time verifying the license.

Is there abybody that has found a solution for this error.

Thanks, Sam.

0 Kudos
61 Replies
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Tomas, unfortunately, if your support license has expired the registration center won't allow you to download :-(  Can you try to see if 16.0 Update 1 has the same issue on your system since you mention you are able to download that?
Thanks,
Kittur

0 Kudos
Tomás_P_
Beginner

I actually have the update 1 installed. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Thanks, 'cause in the log files you attached it appears it's using 14.0 and 15.0.  Did you try with 16.0 update 1 and you still get the same issue?
_Kittur

0 Kudos
Tomás_P_
Beginner

Hi Kittur,

I've sent you a private email with more info.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Thanks Tomas, I've responded to you as well - appreciate much.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Tomas,
Thanks for your offline email confirming that the slowness issue appeared only with 15.0 and doesn't appear with the latest 16.0 update 2 release. I've passed the log related to the 15.0 slowness issue to the group and will keep you updated accordingly, appreciate much.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Tomas,
There are three different versions of FlexNet represented in these products and it's possible that the 11.12 version used in the version 15 compilers could have had a performance issue per-se is what our license folks say. Based on your offline email I assume you'll be able to upgrade to 16.0 version which you confirmed doesn't have this issue. Could you please confirm if  that's fine with you?

Thanks,
Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Nathan,
Thanks for the private email with info as well. I've filed another issue (CQ: DPD200408447) with the license group for investigation and will keep you updated. Appreciate your patience through this.  (BTW, I've responded to your private email as well).

_Kittur

0 Kudos
samuel_p_
Beginner

Kittur:

Thanks for the update, we'll really apreciate any update about this case.

Thanks again, Samuel P.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Absolutely, Samuel. I've passed on all the feedback and info to the license group and will do so as soon as I get an update from that group. Appreciate your patience as always.

Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Thanks Samuel, I've escalated the issue further up and will update you as soon as I get more info. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
Kittur

0 Kudos
samuel_p_
Beginner

Thanks Kittur.

We really apreciate your help, because we are stuck since about 4 month, because we cannot use our 2015 license and we really need to use it to compile software for our cluster.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Thanks Samuel, I've escalated this issue again and will update you as soon as I get more info from the team.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
LM11
Beginner

Kittur,

Has there been any progress in getting this resolved?  We are having the same issue including up to version 16.0.3.  Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Anoop_M_Intel
Employee

Hi LM1,

Are you witnessing this issue on Linux or Windows?

Thanks and Regards
Anoop

0 Kudos
Dan_J_1
Beginner

I am receiving a delay of about 25 seconds once I attempt to invoke the intel software license for use from the client to hte server. I do not have this delay problem when I running RHEL 7.1. It is only when the OS is running RHEL 7.2 that this delay started happening. I have tried as shown below to connect from several RHEL 7.2 client systems but all have delayed about 25 seocnds. This delay also does not happen when on RHEL 5

Does anyone have clue as to why this is latency occurs? Thanks in advance.

Dan

planetf 1115: /nav/common/sw/linux/redhat/rhel7_64//intel/compilers_and_libraries/linux/bin/intel64//icc
    INTEL_LMD: flex_set_license_path: called, path=</nav/common/sw/linux/redhat/rhel7_64/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/bin/intel64>
    INTEL_LMD: flex_set_platform: called, plat_name=<i86_r>
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: entered at start_time: 1471557625  (UTC) Thu Aug 18 22:00:25 2016
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: build options:
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     build date:                2016.0416
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     build platform:            Intel(R) 64 architecture; Linux*
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     checkout platform:         i86_r (IA-32 architecture; Linux*)
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:         *Other brands and names are the property of their respective owners.
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     FLEXlm version:            11.13
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     source version:            1.132  $ Intel(R) Software Licensing release 2.4 | FlexNet Publisher* version 11.13.0 $
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     FLEX_MAX_LICENSE_TRIES:    0
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     FLEX_USE_NOWAIT_AND_SPIN:  enabled
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     FLEX_SPIN_SLEEP_SECONDS:   30
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     heartbeats:                60 seconds (automatic)
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     server retry:              60 seconds
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     FLEX_CHECKOUT_FILTER:      enabled
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     FLEX_CLEAN_PATHS:          disabled
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     FLEX_CLOCK_ROLLBACK_CHECK: disabled
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     FLEX_APP_SPECIFIC:         disabled
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: user options:
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     feature name:              Comp-CL
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     opts:                      { FLEX_OPT_QUIET FLEX_OPT_QUIET_EXPIRE_EVAL }
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     try_count:                 0
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     retry_interval:            30
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     linger_time:               0
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: environment:
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     INTEL_LICENSE_FILE         <28518@planetf.jpl.nasa.gov:/nav/common/sw/linux/redhat/rhel7_64/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/bin/intel64/../../Licenses:/home/sanghp/Licenses:/opt/intel/licenses:/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses:/nav/common/sw/linux/redhat/rhel7_64/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/bin/intel64>
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     LM_LICENSE_FILE            <NULL>
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     INTEL_LMD_DEBUG            <3>
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: license file(s) used were (in this order):
    INTEL_LMD: **  1.  28518@planetf.jpl.nasa.gov
    INTEL_LMD: **  2.  /nav/common/sw/linux/redhat/rhel7_64/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/bin/intel64/../../Licenses/COM_L_VT__FL5B-69R7ZPJN.lic
    INTEL_LMD: **  3.  /nav/common/sw/linux/redhat/rhel7_64/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/bin/intel64/../../Licenses/COM_L__CPP_FNT6-RZCWCSWJ.lic
    INTEL_LMD: **  4.  /nav/common/sw/linux/redhat/rhel7_64/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/bin/intel64/../../Licenses/COM_L__CPP_FNT6-VR362FCF.lic
    INTEL_LMD: **  5.  /nav/common/sw/linux/redhat/rhel7_64/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/bin/intel64/../../Licenses/COM_L__FOR_FGG2-LKZSN7BZ.lic
    INTEL_LMD: **  6.  /nav/common/sw/linux/redhat/rhel7_64/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/bin/intel64/../../Licenses/COM_L__FOR_FGG2-MTNBPTSC.lic
    INTEL_LMD: **  7.  /home/sanghp/Licenses
    INTEL_LMD: **  8.  /opt/intel/licenses/*.lic
    INTEL_LMD: **  9.  /Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses
    INTEL_LMD: **  10.  /nav/common/sw/linux/redhat/rhel7_64/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/bin/intel64/*.lic
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: linger_time set to 0 by default
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: begin attempt(s) to checkout
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: about to do checkout call
    INTEL_LMD: checkoutfilter: called for feature: Comp-CL
    INTEL_LMD: checkoutfilter: VENDOR_STRING: <SUPPORT=COM https://registrationcenter.intel.com>;
    INTEL_LMD: checkoutfilter: next VENDOR_STRING keyword: SUPPORT=<COM>
    INTEL_LMD: checkoutfilter:     ignore: keyword SUPPORT is disabled for filtering
    INTEL_LMD: checkoutfilter: next VENDOR_STRING keyword: https://registrationcenter.intel.com
    INTEL_LMD: checkoutfilter:     ignore: keyword https://registrationcenter.intel.com is disabled for filtering
    INTEL_LMD: checkoutfilter: returns ACCEPT

DELAY HERE of 25 seconds then it completes the checkin successfully.

INTEL_LMD: checkout: checkout call returns rc 0
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: license now granted
    INTEL_LMD: flex_config: called
    INTEL_LMD: flex_config: at least one license has been granted
    INTEL_LMD: flex_config: the most recently checked out feature was checked out successfully
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: contents of particular license actually checked out:
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     feature name:                  Comp-FL (INCREMENT line)
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     serial number:                 SMSALKZSN7BZ
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     license expires:               perpetual license (does not expire)
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     license maintenance expires:   2017.0529
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     type of license:               counted, 2 users maximum
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     allowed platforms:
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:             i86_r          (IA-32 architecture; Linux*)
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:             i86_re         (IA-32 architecture; Linux*)
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:             it64_lr        (IA-64 architecture; Linux*)
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:             it64_re        (IA-64 architecture; Linux*)
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:             amd64_re       (Intel(R) 64 architecture; Linux*)
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:         *Other brands and names are the property of their respective owners.
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:     VENDOR_STRING= string contents:
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:             SUPPORT=<COM>
    INTEL_LMD: checkout:             https://registrationcenter.intel.com
    INTEL_LMD: flex_config: the most recently checked out feature was checked out successfully
    INTEL_LMD: flex_expire_days: called
    INTEL_LMD: flex_expire_days: returns 3650000
    INTEL_LMD: checkout: returns GRANTED
    INTEL_LMD: flex_pre_fork: called
    INTEL_LMD: flex_post_fork: called
ifort version 16.0.3
    INTEL_LMD: flex_return_license: called
    INTEL_LMD: flex_return_license: considering feature name: Comp-FL
    INTEL_LMD: flex_return_license: feature name needs checkin: Comp-FL
    INTEL_LMD: flex_return_license: checkin succeeded for feature: Comp-FL
    INTEL_LMD: flex_free_job: called
    INTEL_LMD: flex_free_job: lc_new_job was called
    INTEL_LMD: flex_return_license: done

0 Kudos
Ian_W_
Beginner

I also had problems with icc 16.0.3 on CentOS 7.2 where "icc -v" took just over 25 seconds to execute.

I'm not sure why, but in my case the 25 second timeout seems to be caused by icc sending an IPv6 RTM_NEWADDR netlink command, even though IPv6 is was not enabled on the primary network interface. Enabling IPv6 in this interface (even though it's not used in our network) fixed this for me. One of my colleges reported that leaving IPv6 disabled, but removing "myhostname" from the "hosts:" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf fixed the issue for him.

We also discovered some funniness with DNS lookups. For some reason icc was doing lookups of the first part of the license server name (the bit before the first dot) concatenated with the search path from resolve.conf. This query failed because our license server was in a different network domain, but was taking just over a second to do so. We worked round this by adding the part of the license server host name after the first dot as the first item in the resolve.conf search list. Using an IP address as the license server hostname did not fix this.

0 Kudos
Paul_W_3
Beginner

We are having the same issue with icc taking a very long time, starting with ic 2017 and FlexLM 7.4 (we were running an older IC and FlexLM 7.2 before that and did not have the issue).  Our interfaces all have IPv6 on (though we do not have an IPv6 network, as Ian W. is configured above), and we do not have "myhostname" on the hosts line in the nsswitch.conf file.  Nevertheless, the issue persists.

I have tried everything listed on this thread, including explicitly listing the IP address in the environmental variable, several different nsswitch.conf configurations, and using both machine name and fully-qualified name.  I have set the FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS variable to 3 and run, and though a flex<number>.log file is created, it is always empty.

I switched back to FlexLM 7.2 (though still IC 2017), and the problem persists. 

We have an older 2013 version of IC still on our cluster, and it works fine without a delay in all the above configurations.

FYI:  We are CentOS 7.1 everywhere, client and server. 

0 Kudos
Cole_R_
Beginner

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/long-license-checkout-on-remote-workstations This is absolutely related to this. Can we have an update on when caching will be added back in.

0 Kudos
Matthew_H_6
Beginner

We had this problem on our cluster as well, even when specifying the IP address of the license server instead of the host name.  It was related to a DNS issue.  Despite specifying the IP, there was still a DNS lookup that was taking place that was slowing down the check out time.  When we removed the problematic DNS server from /etc/resolv.conf the checkout time was as expected.

0 Kudos