Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Standalone installation of Intel Parallel Studio XE 20xx

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I think that was asked many-many times in the past but this time, after reading Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 installation requirements, I'd like to address the problem again. Could we have Standalone, that is without Microsoft Visual Studio but with some Platform SDK, installations of latest versions of Intel C++ compiler? We clearly see that Intel and Microsoft have a "Greedy Deal" and that is why new versions of Intel C++ compilers can't be installed without Microsoft Visual Studios and now a list of prohibited Visual Studios includes very good and stable Visual Studios 2005 and 2008 Professional Editions ( PE ), and even Visual Studios 2010. This is Not going to work for many of us! I would forget about VS 2005 PE but VS 2008 PE is about 8 years old. I don't see any technical reasons why Intel stopped supporting it. It is clearly a Money Matter. Intel doesn't want to provide Standalone installations for latest versions C++ compilers and I think some loyal to Intel C++ compiler companies, especially small, could start dropping support of it in favour of Open Source C++ compilers like MinGW and Watcom.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Intel usually discontinues support for vs versions which Microsoft no longer supports. You could say it's a money matter, no feasible increase in fees could cover the increased less productive work. If you want a compiler independent of vs you know where it's available.

I think Intel has been disappointed in the market share gained by Intel c++ but mingw et al seem to have a miniscule share of the market of interest to intel. You've probably noticed the effort intel has put into improving Windows Mac and linux compilers which compete to some extent.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I'm talking about a situation when due to a "Greedy Deal", between Microsoft and Intel, a Class Action Lawsuit against both Corporations could be launched some day. I think you know what happened to Microsoft in Europe when there was a Class Action Lawsuit related to "forced" installations of Internet Explorer and how much Microsoft paid for that. We, as consumers, are loosing money at No reason and it looks as follows: - Microsoft creates a new version of Visual Studio that uses more resources, that is memory, storage space, and works slower compared to previous versions of Visual Studios - Intel stops supporting Not Too Old Visual Studios about every five years even if their Life Cycle is more than 10 years - Both actions force consumers to upgrade software and hardware, because faster and more powerful computers are needed in order to work with a "Monster-like" Visual Studios, already nicknamed as "Macrosoft" Visual Studios - In both cases consumers loose the money and in both cases Corporations get the money Another thing is, you can Not make billions of dollars, even hundred of millions, on sales of Intel C++ compilers and Visual Studios. Executives of both Corporations still do Not understand it. Things have changed during last 8 years because of Android OS but Microsoft and Intel still follow Obsolete Business model based on "forced" upgrades of software and hardware. I ask ALL developers, engineers, managers, scientists and researches to support my requests for Standalone installations of Intel C++ compilers. As a matter of fact significant efforts are done on a project I've been working on to support five ( 5 ) major versions of C++ compilers, Microsoft, Intel, MinGW, Borland and Open Watcom. Under no circumstances we will accept current situation with regards to Visual Studios. At the moment, a significant uproar is going between some software developers and engineers in favor of dropping support of Intel C++ compiler because in recent tests on 64-bit Windows 7 SP1 MinGW v4.9.2 worked No slower than Intel C++ compiler. We're getting ready for upgrade to MinGW v5.1.0 and there are already plans to speed up work related to Open Watcom v2.0 64-bit. We won't compromise anything!
0 Kudos