Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Static analysis fails "internal error: backend signals"

dpeterc
Beginner

I am using icc (ICC) 12.1.5 20120612

and try to use static analysis with the following compile options

-O1 -s -diag-enable sc1 -mia32 -fno-jump-tables -check-uninit -Wunused-variable -static-intel -wd10237 -wd869

My code is just C, aprox. 120.000 lines.

Intel compiler fails with the following message:

(0): internal error: backend signals

icc: error #10338: Static security analysis has failed because of an internal error(code 4).  Analysis results are likely to be incomplete.

In fact it creates a bunch of XML files in a directory, but does not contain anything useful or any reference to my code.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Milind_Kulkarni__Int
New Contributor II
does this also come without static analysis options? (0): internal error: backend signals you can as well try with the latest version like 12.1.6.369 of Composer XE 2011 or 2013, whether it helps. Or, you try to reduce some code, zip it and send to private communication, so it will not be visible to public.
0 Kudos
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee
As Milind suggested it'd be good to see if the issue reproduces with the latest 12.1 or 13.0 compilers. If the issue also reproduces by simply compiling the code, a good test case to send us would be a preprocessed file (file with .i extension) that you can reproduce either in the IDE through setting the project properties (e.g. C/C++-->Preprocessor-->Preprocess to a File ....) or add the option "/P" to the command line options. The .i file along with full compilation options allow us to reproduce and investigate the issue.
0 Kudos
dpeterc
Beginner
Milind Kulkarni (Intel) wrote:

does this also come without static analysis options?

No, without it it compiles or works OK.
Milind Kulkarni (Intel)

you can as well try with the latest version like 12.1.6.369 of Composer XE 2011 or 2013, whether it helps.
Or, you try to reduce some code, zip it and send to private communication, so it will not be visible to public.

[/quote wrote:
I don't have the other versions of compiler, need to buy the upgrade. I will try to recude the code example.
0 Kudos
dpeterc
Beginner
I have tried the same compile options on smaller project which uses same toolkits and libraries, but is only 25.000 lines of code. This time it worked OK. So I guess the static anaylsis fails because the project is too big or it runs out of memory. I have 4GB of RAM on 32 bit system. For the project where I got the results, they were actually in quite big XML file. It there some user friendly GUI program somewhere to read this XML and to jump to problem source line? Because the XML is quite verbose and hard to examine just with editor.
0 Kudos
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee

I don't have the other versions of compiler, need to buy the upgrade

You can download an evaluaation version of the latest 13.0 compiler to see if it resolves the problem.  To view the the results you will need the Intel Inspector XE which requires an Intel Parallel Studio 2013 XE license.

--mark

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...To view the the results you will need the Intel Inspector XE which requires an Intel Parallel Studio 2013 XE license... With Evaluation copy of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 all additional products, like Inspector XE, or VTune Amplifier XE, etc, should work for 30 days and a license file e-mailed to a user as soon as registration is completed.
0 Kudos
Alexis_B_
Beginner

Is there any update on this? I'm getting exactly the same issue and do not really know how to investigate it. I'm using Visual Studio 2008, my project is C++ and only one project in my solution fails this way. I'm up-to-date both for Intel Composer and Inspector.

0 Kudos
Alexis_B_
Beginner

After performing an update, I'm still getting the issue (my system is now XE Composer 2013 SP1, and icl indicates Version 14.0.0.103 Build 20130728).

Alexis

0 Kudos