Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Static library in XCode with intel compiler fails to build

rsharadh
Beginner
I have a simple xcode project that I amtrying to compile with intel compiler 11.1/084
"include/sample.h"

#include

#include

voidcrump(void);

"src/sample.cpp"

#include"sample.h"

usingnamespacestd;

voidcrump(void)

{

cout<<"in crump now"<

}

In xcode, I set the proper search paths for the header files in the "search paths" sections. I noticed that I had to set the C++ compiler in two places one in the project settings and another in the Target-Rules settings (by adding a new rule to build C++ files with Intel Compiler 11.1).
I am able to build this as a static from command line by calls to icpc and ar ...but not within xcode. Can somebody please help?
I get the following message:

Build testIPPStatic of project testIPPStatic with configuration Debug

Libtool build/Debug/libtestIPPStatic.a normal i386

cd /Users/sharadh/Documents/testIPPStatic

setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.6

/Developer/usr/local/bin/icc-11.1-base/bin/intel64/icpc -arch i386 -syslibroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk -L/Users/sharadh/Documents/testIPPStatic/build/Debug -filelist /Users/sharadh/Documents/testIPPStatic/build/testIPPStatic.build/Debug/testIPPStatic.build/Objects-normal/i386/testIPPStatic.LinkFileList -staticlib -o /Users/sharadh/Documents/testIPPStatic/build/Debug/libtestIPPStatic.a

xilibtool: executing 'libtool'

libtool: unknown option character `n' in: -no_compact_unwind

Usage: libtool -static [-] file [...] [-filelist listfile[,dirname]] [-arch_only arch] [-sacLT]

Usage: libtool -dynamic [-] file [...] [-filelist listfile[,dirname]] [-arch_only arch] [-o output] [-install_name name] [-compatibility_version #] [-current_version #] [-seg1addr 0x#] [-segs_read_only_addr 0x#] [-segs_read_write_addr 0x#] [-seg_addr_table ] [-seg_addr_table_filename ] [-all_load] [-noall_load]

Command /Developer/usr/local/bin/icc-11.1-base/bin/intel64/icpc failed with exit code 1

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Quoc-An_L_Intel

This is a bug. The compiler added the option -Wl,-no_compact_unwind by default to resolve the problem reported here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=69895

Unfortunate, libtool does not support this option. I have reported a bug on this issue. ID DPD200151036 for your reference.

In the mean time, you mentioned that you were able build this as a static from command line by calls to icpc and ar. One work around you could try in Xcode is to add a new build phase to your target,

Select target -> Project -> New Build Phase -> New Run Script Build Phase -> enter script "ar command that you used from the command line".

0 Kudos
rsharadh
Beginner

Thanks a lot, esp. for the quickness of your response ... at least for this dummy program I got the static library built and linked against it .... hopefully I can do the same for the big project!

Sharadh

0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel

Another workaround that might be easier is to add the complete libtool command line with out the -no_compact_unwind option to the custom build phase. You can get the complete libtool command line by addingthe option -v to the command line options inXcode.

icpc -v -staticlib test1.cpp test2.cpp will give you something like this:

xilibtool: executing 'libtool'

libtool \ (you need the libtool command from here).

-static \

-arch_only \

x86_64 \

-no_compact_unwind \ (Remove this when you add it to the custom build phase).

-o \

a.out \

/tmp/icpc0ZXHCP.o \

/tmp/icpciR7qMm.o \

-L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/084/lib \

-L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1/x86_64/ \

-L/usr/lib/i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1/ \

-L/usr/lib/ \

-L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1/x86_64 \

-L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1/ \

-L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1/../../../i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1/ \

-L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1/../../.. \