Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

System requirements

Daniel_D
Beginner

I could not found the system requirements for the compiler. I found out that a rebuild all of my solution takes close to one hour with the intel compiler, but took only a few minutes if I use MS-VC++ (Release build debug build isnt that worse). The machine become unresponsive and I realized that all memory was used be the compiler! I use a Windows7-64 bit OS running on an i7 with 8GB of memory. Is that not enough for the intel compiler?? So my guess is that I have not enough memory and I would like to know what the recommendation from intel are but I couldnt find some.

Daniel

Please see the screenshot from the Task Manager below:
39607-TaskManager1.jpg

and this one:
39609-TaskManager2.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alexander_W_Intel

Hi,

maybe this is related to IPO. This optimization is using a lot of memory.

You can try to disable it to see if this is the cause of your memory problems. In VS2010 you can disable it in the Project Properties > C/C++ > Optimization [Intel C++] > Interprocedural Optimization and set it to no.

You can find a more detailed explanation at: http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/studio/composer/en-us/2011/compiler_c/optaps/common/optaps_ipo_large.htm

Hope this helps,
Alex

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alexander_W_Intel

Hi,

maybe this is related to IPO. This optimization is using a lot of memory.

You can try to disable it to see if this is the cause of your memory problems. In VS2010 you can disable it in the Project Properties > C/C++ > Optimization [Intel C++] > Interprocedural Optimization and set it to no.

You can find a more detailed explanation at: http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/studio/composer/en-us/2011/compiler_c/optaps/common/optaps_ipo_large.htm

Hope this helps,
Alex

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your information. Switching IPO off gives me this error:

8> xilink: executing 'link'

8>ipo_32925obj.obj : fatal error LNK1318: Unexpected PDB error; RPC (23) '(0x000006BA)'

========== Rebuild All: 10 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

More details for errors from Windows headers:

23 Data error (cyclic redundancy check) ERROR_CRC

and

0x000006BA = 1722

//
// MessageId: RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE
//
// MessageText:
//
// The RPC server is unavailable.
//
#define RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE 1722L

Sorry, but itcould beeven more confusing...

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner
Yes, I agree. It is very confusing. Compiling my libraries also with IPO off fixes that.

Daniel
0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel
Yes, I agree. It is very confusing. Compiling my libraries also with IPO off fixes that.

'Daniel,

So this issue is now solved for you?

Alex

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner
Hi Alex,

yes this issue is solved. I wounder if the resulting binaries (IPO switched off) can be as fast/efficiet as the binaries created from the MS-compiler with full optimization?

Daniel
0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel

Daniel,

the simple answer is: Give it a try! The performance difference between the Intel and the Microsoft* compiler is depending on the specific workload.

Thanks,
Alex

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner
I will. Thanks.
0 Kudos