Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7957 Discussions

Try out Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 for Windows Beta update 1 for VS11 Metro Style App

JenniferJ

The Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 beta update 1 has been posted. It has many bug fixes and as well as better support of VS11 beta.

Right now the Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 does not support VS11 Metro style app development, but it is possible to try Intel C++ Compiler if your Metro style app contains pure C/C++ win32 components, or WRL components.

We have created an article "Experimenting with Intel C++ Compiler 13.0 beta and Metro Style Apps for Windows*" to make your experiment more smooth. The article also includes 2 examples. It is posted at our Registration Center under "Update 1", see the cycled item below. It is only available for beta customers.

To register for beta,check thisInvitation to join the beta for Intel C++ Composer XE 2013.

43925-wrl_download.png

Thanks,
Jennifer

0 Kudos
9 Replies
levicki
Valued Contributor I
@Jennifer,

I have just learned that Visual Studio 11 Express will not support building of desktop applications and that Windows 8 SDK no longer includes compiler toolchain.

I am sure you guys will have to update a lot of documentation now :)
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Emmmm, this is news to me.
Yes, such change would affect many things in our product. Thank you for letting me know.

I'm aware of the Win8 SDK compiler change, but did not know that the VS11 expchange.This is a big change. So for desktop app development, there is no free VS11 then. wow.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
...I'm aware of the Win8 SDK compiler change, but did not know that the VS11 expchange.This is a big change. So for desktop app development, there is no free VS11 then...

I'd like to share my opinion about Visual StudioExpress editions.

Visual Studio2011 Expressisa successor, too some degree,of Visual Studio 2010 Express.

Unfortunately,I amnot impressed at all with 2010 version. Because of this I don't haveplans to spend any time on Visual Studio 2011 Express.

Visual Studio 2008 Express is abetter version.

I would be glad to see integration of Intel C++ compiler with Eclipse IDE on Windows platforms.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
xunxun
Beginner
BTW, I can't find Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 for Windows Beta update 1 download link ... :(

Will it be provided again in some days later?
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Emmm, it is posted.

did you sign up for the beta program? Here is the link for sign-up:Register and Download the Beta.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee
It looks like Microsoft has backtracked on this position, see this articlehttp://www.cio.com/article/708225/Microsoft_Does_an_About_Face_on_Visual_Studio_and_Open_Source?
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Yes. it is a good news.
Here is their blog about this change: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/06/08/visual-studio-express-2012-for-windows-desktop.aspx

Jennifer
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Good news indeed, I wonder what made them change their mind?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting Igor Levicki
Good news indeed, I wonder what made them change their mind?

I think this is because Microsoft feels apresure from Open Source platforms like Android,Linux, etc.

0 Kudos