Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Upgraded Intel C++ Compiler is not detected by Visual Studio 10

tj1
Beginner

Today I downloaded and installed Intel C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 SP 1 Update 3 for Windows and Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 4 for Windows, replacing the old installations. No problems were reported during installation -  the Intel Software Manager History reports that both the above SPs were installed, the VS Project > Properties > General > Platform Toolset is now configured as 'Intel C++ Compiler XE 14.0.'
However it now appears that the compiler is not being picked up by Visual Studio 10.  and when I try to build a project I get the following error message:

'C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.Targets(518,5): error MSB8008: Specified platform toolset (Intel C++ Compiler XE 14.0) is not installed or invalid. Please make sure that a supported PlatformToolset value is selected.'

Also, I notice that the option to set the Visual Studio Tools\Options\Intel C++\Compilers is not displayed and in the Solution Explorer pane, there is no longer an option to select Project > Intel C++ Compiler XE > Use Intel C++ (or select the Microsoft Compiler).

Can you advise what has happened and what I can do to fix this?

Regards.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shenghong_G_Intel

I am wondering you hit the old issue you reported:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/277583

Please have a look and check whether you installed both 32bit and 64bit. :)

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos
tj1
Beginner

Yes, but I I don't think this is the same issue, I already had the previous versions working correctly, and the Intel Software Manager pointed me to the updated versions to download

0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you please navigate to "Tools --> Options -->  Intel Parallel Studio XE --> C++ --> Compilers" and see if you have set "Target Platform" as Win32/x64 (according to your application), If win32, make sure you have the 32-bit compiler installed.

Then select the latest compiler from the "Platform Toolset" and "Selected Compiler", which you see in your project properties as shown belo in the 2nd screenshot.

visualstudio_suk1.PNG

Visualstudio_suk.PNG

Please do let me know if this resolves the issue.

Regards,

Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
tj1
Beginner

Hi,
Thanks Sukruth H V but since the upgrade I do not see any more Intel Parallel Studio XE in the Tools -> Options dialogue (see my attachment VisualStudioToolsOptions).  The project properties dialogue (VisualStudioProjectProperties attachment) shows the platform toolset, but that's it. 

Previously my installation was working fine, I purchased a new license key, and selected to update to the latest versions using Intel Software Manager, and it seemed like upgrade went okay (see VisualStudioIntelSoftwareManager attachment).

0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the screenshots. I could see a section "Intel_Composer_XE" in "VisualStudio ToolsOptions.png". Could you please expand this section and let me know the options inside?

I see "Parallel Studio XE SP1 2013 update 3" and "Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 SP1 update 4" being installed from "Intel Software Manager" screenshot. But I see from the timestamp that you have installed the C++ Composer package first and then Parallel Studio XE. I am doubtful that this might be an issue. To check whether it is, Could you please goto "Contol Panel" --> "Add or remove Programs"  and try to uninstall the "Intel C++ Compiler XE 2013 SP1 update 4" and then boot your system, install it back again.

Sorry for so many steps. Please do let me know the results back.

Regards,

Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
tj1
Beginner

In the end I did a reinstall using the .exe, rather than trying to update through the Intel Software Manager, and everything is okay now.
I think something must have gone wrong in the installation, perhaps as you say I did things in an unorthodox order.
Thanks very much for the help!

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Interesting that after reinstall through .exe worked. We'll pass this scenario you bumped into our Software Manager product team, thanks

_Kittur

0 Kudos