Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Using Intel-compiled libraries in non-Intel-Compiled projects

Charles_B_
Beginner

Hi,

I have been given a few libraries for Windows and OSX that have been compiled using the Intel C++ compiler (both statically and dynamically linked versions are available).  I am using MSVC 2012 on Windows, and XCode 8 on OSX and I am trying to use those libraries in projects that are not using the Intel compiler.  I have only tried this on Windows so far, but even the statically linked libraries are trying to pull in additional dependencies (libmmt.lib).

Is it possible to use Intel compiled libraries this way, or does the whole tool-chain need to use the Intel compiler in order to work?

Thanks,

Charles

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Varsha_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Charles,

The Intel C++ Compiler is source and binary compatible with Visual C++ compiler; it supports the Microsoft* Visual C++* extensions to the C and C++ languages.

What version of Intel compiler did you use to build the libraries?

Thanks,
Varsha

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It may not be surprising if you have unresolved references to the Intel redistributable libraries.  If you have a full license for your compiler, you are entitled to distribute those with your project.  The redistributable package for your compiler should be available alongside the compiler on registrationcenter.intel.com as well as being present when the compler has been installed.

0 Kudos
Charles_B_
Beginner

Hi Varsha, the libraries have been provided by a third party.  Sadly, I don't have access to the Intel compiler presently and I don't know which version they used.  I have sent a query and will let you know their response.

Tim P.  Thanks for your response, I was expecting there to be a dependency on some run-time libraries, but this is a compiler issue where something is missing at link time.  I will enquire about getting the redist from the third party, but do you know if that includes the static library for linking with?

Thanks,

Charles

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

hello,

in your case static runtime (libmmt.lib) needs to be used in case you want to use the 3rd-party static library. does the 3rd-party dynamic library require the separate intel runtime library? it can be linked statically to the 3rd party dll.

--Vladimir

0 Kudos
Charles_B_
Beginner

Hi,

The developers of the third party library have provided me with the required static libraries to link to, namely

• libiomp5mt.lib
  • ippcore_t.lib
  • ipps_t.lib

Now I don't need to link to anything else or redistribute any DLLs to my customers and everything appears to be working as expected.

Thanks for your help!

Charles

0 Kudos