Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Using multiple cores for compilation

jamiecook
Beginner

I'm using MSVC 2005 standard with the intel 11.0 c++ compiler and I'm noticing that it doesn't seem to be using multiple cores / threads for compilation. Forgive me if this is a nub question to ask but ... is there a way I can speed up my compilation time by using more than one of the cores on my quad core cpu?

I'm compiling a single large library which takes up to 28-30 minutes to compile.

I have a Intel Core2 Quad [x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2400 Mhz]

I've been searching around on the internet but most hits are for compiling multithreaded applications with the Intel compiler rather than enabling multithreading in the compiler itself.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
shachris23
New Contributor I
Quoting - jamiecook

I'm using MSVC 2005 standard with the intel 11.0 c++ compiler and I'm noticing that it doesn't seem to be using multiple cores / threads for compilation. Forgive me if this is a nub question to ask but ... is there a way I can speed up my compilation time by using more than one of the cores on my quad core cpu?

I'm compiling a single large library which takes up to 28-30 minutes to compile.

I have a Intel Core2 Quad [x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2400 Mhz]

I've been searching around on the internet but most hits are for compiling multithreaded applications with the Intel compiler rather than enabling multithreading in the compiler itself.

Hi Jamie,

Simply add "/MP" flag as part of the compilr command-line argument, and it would compile multi-core. Please note that this is also documented in the Intel C++ Compiler documentation (simply search for it).

Please also note Intel probably picked this "/MP" keyword because Visual Studio (starting from 2005 onward) also uses the keyword to parallelize its compilation.

Hope this helps,

S.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

On VS 2005 IDE Look in

Tools | Options | Projects and Solutions | Build and Run

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
shachris23
New Contributor I
Quoting - jamiecook

Hi Jamie,

Simply add "/MP" flag as part of the compilr command-line argument, and it would compile multi-core. Please note that this is also documented in the Intel C++ Compiler documentation (simply search for it).

Please also note Intel probably picked this "/MP" keyword because Visual Studio (starting from 2005 onward) also uses the keyword to parallelize its compilation.

Hope this helps,

S.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - jamiecook

Another point to consider is are you using

#pragma once

in your include files (where including only once is desired).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
jamiecook
Beginner
Quoting - shachris23

Hi Jamie,

Hope this helps,

S.

Thanks for that! Your solution seems to have sorted it out as I can now get up to 100% CPU utilisation when compiling. It's not readily apparent that it is now using multiple as all the threads are started from a single icl.exe so you end up with

[cpp]1> SourceFile1.cpp
1> SourceFile2.cpp
1> SourceFile3.cpp
1> SourceFile4.cpp[/cpp]
instead of the expected

[cpp]1> SourceFile1.cpp
2> SourceFile2.cpp
3> SourceFile3.cpp
1> SourceFile4.cpp[/cpp]

if you had N = 3 separate compilations going at once. But you can see via the task manager than there are multiple mcpcom.exe processes running.

0 Kudos
jamiecook
Beginner

On VS 2005 IDE Look in

Tools | Options | Projects and Solutions | Build and Run

Jim Dempsey

That [max number of parallel project builds] was already set to 4, but had no effect on the intel compiler... solution was to add /MP to all projects that I want to compile multithreaded.

0 Kudos