Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

VS 2017 integration and Intel C++ Compiler Update 4 not working

th_-_IPACS_Developer

Hello there,

we recently installed Intel Parallel Studio 2017 Update 4.

We intend to use it with VS2015 and VS2017. Installation worked without any issues and integration
in VS2017 shows the usual menu entries for VTune, Advisor and so on.

However I cannot switch our project to the Intel C++ Compiler, the menu entry, when right clicking on the project is not visible at all.

In VS 2015 everything works fine however.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndrewC
New Contributor III

I'm not having that issue. Switching to and from Visual C++ and Intel C++ works fine in VS 2017.

0 Kudos
th_-_IPACS_Developer

Just a follow up here: After uninstalling Intel Parallel Studio 2017 and reinstalling it again, the issue no longer shows up. So I can now choose Intel C++ Compiler again for our project in VS 2017.

0 Kudos
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I

There is definitely something wrong with integration of update 4.

It left my VS 2017 broken, while not reporting any issues/errors during installation itself. Once I repaired VS 2017 I can select Intel C++ compiler, however, when building the project I receive the following error:

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 17.0\Toolset.targets(127,5): error : Could not expand ICInstallDir variable. Platform toolset may be set to an invalid version number.

There is also no option to select Intel or VS C++ compiler (usually right-button mouse click). As reported by others integration with VS 2015 works fine.

A.

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

The integration into VS2017 failed for me as well - on two separate systems. The compiler is selectable from the Platform Toolkit drop down in the C++ project properties, but there is no actual integration into the IDE (i.e. nothing in the Tools menu, cannot right click on the project in Solution Explorer and switch compilers, etc.).

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

I got a little further by completely uninstalling and reinstalling Update 4. The tools are integrated now, but when I attempt to open (any) project I get a \bin32 folder "is not existing" error and VS2017 dies in dramatic fashion. The same happens if I try to interact with any of the Intel toolbars.

Clearly, the 2017 integration package needs a little more time in the oven.

UPDATE: I was able to remove just the tools packages (advisor, vtune, etc.) and leave behind the compiler integration via the Visual Studio Extensions and Updates... interface. This eliminated the above fatal error. No integrated analytics, but at least the compiler works. Hopefully, Intel will vet their Update 5 a little better next time around.

0 Kudos
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I

Jason,

I can only add (what somehow confirms your findings) that VS 2017 integration of Intel 18.0 Beta C++ works perfectly, while other Beta tools (VTune, Advisor) failed to integrate with VS 2017. So it looks like analytic tools are real culprit here.

A.

0 Kudos
jase439
Beginner

I noticed on one system - with identical VS2017 setup - C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\ide_support_2017\VS15 is never written and hence none of the VSIX packages run (even though VS2017 integration was clearly noted in the installation summary and no errors were generated during install). I manually copied this folder from another system and had to run the VSIX packages manually to get the integration.

Seriously. How did this ever get past QA?

0 Kudos
electro_g_
Beginner

I experienced this issue, too

0 Kudos
Royi
Novice

It seems that for real VS 2017 Integration we'll have to wait for Composer 2018.

0 Kudos