Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

VS2005 --> 2008 migration: Project Conversion Wizard appears constantly

romant73
Beginner
Hi All,

I have both VS2005 and VS2008 installed, Intel C++ Compiler is integrated into both IDEs.

I also have a solution under VS2005 (it uses Intel Compiler) that I'd like to move under VS2008. When opening the solution under VS2008 conversion wizard appears and converts all the project successfully, solution can be built using MSVC without problems.

Then I switch to the Intel C++ Compiler (using toolbar in the VS2008 IDE) and conversion Wizard appears again and again it converts existing projects. Solution can be built using Intel Compiler without problems.

When I decide to switch back to MSVC conversion wizard appears once again, it then appears each time I switch the compiler from MSVC to Intel or back. How to avoid these multiple conversions that are very annoying and seem unnecessary ?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lingfeng_C_Intel
Employee

Thanks Romant for you to using our ICC.
When you switch between Intel C++ compiler and MSVC, there are always popup (Confirmation)dialog window to let you confirm. But this is just one confirmation. I have no experience Wizard appears again and again. Yes, if there are some projects in your solution, it will flash windows several times.

By the way, do you meet this kind of issue in VS2005 or just in VS2008?

Thanks,
Wise

0 Kudos
romant73
Beginner
I meant not the confirmation dialog (with proposal to clean the project up) but VS conversion wizard. However, it seems like the reason is incorrect conversions (conversion wizard fails to convert some projects so it appears over and over again when switching between compilers) so Intel's product is not responsible for it.
0 Kudos
Lingfeng_C_Intel
Employee
In this case, I suggest you to create or open a VS2008 project first to check if VS and ICC conversion is right or not. Then try to migration VS2005 project to VS2008.
If VS2008 project works, then we can say the environment is good, and the problem maybe VS2005 migration, otherwise, the environment maybe have some issues we should first hanlde.

Thanks,
Wise
0 Kudos