Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

VS2008 Integration

barsmonster
Beginner
I have both VS2005 & VS2008 installed.
When installing Intel C++ compiller I've specified that I want to integrate with both.
Unfortunately, "Convert to Intel C++" is visible only in VS2005.

Did anyone noticed that, or is there a workaround? (Or it's another PEBCAK problem?)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
barsmonster
Beginner
I manually downgraded my project for VS2005, but it crashes when I try to "convert to Intel C++ compiller". The project is very simple itself - just 1 .cpp file.
0 Kudos
barsmonster
Beginner
Probably it crashes because I downloaded IA-64 compiller, but my VS2005 is 32bit only. Anyway I would prefer to use VS2008 which is installed with both 32-bit & 64-bit stuff.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Are you trying to run IA-64 (Itanium) code on a Xeon or AMD system? VS2005 supports both kinds of 64-bit code, but you need the corresponding 64-bit OS, SDK,and hardware. VS2008 express doesn't support either kind of 64-bit, and the full VS2008 requires you to specify the appropriate 64-bit installation option. You can't just throw together random combinations.
0 Kudos
barsmonster
Beginner
Ah, I see my mistake. I was in doubt what is 64bit for Core2Duo :-) Now I see that it is Intel 64, not IA-64. Thanks alot :-) I'll try again now :-)
0 Kudos
barsmonster
Beginner
Situation is the same. I've uninstalled IA-64 compiller, downloaded Intel 64 compiler, installed it. After that there is still no convert option in VS2008. It appeared in VS2005, it does not crash, but it is impossible to compile (which is expected - there is no 32bit Intel Compiler installed).

Funny thing, for several days I was thinking that I am using Intel C++ compiller - After installation I've switched to 64bit compilation, and have got ~15% speed increase. I was thinking that it was result of switching to Intel C++ compiler. I've noticed that there is far less memory reads/writes in Disassembly at critical section and was thinking that it is because of better register allocation of Intel C++ compiler. Actually that was result of double number of registers in 64bit mode. Can't wait to see how much more performance I'll get after switching to Intel C++ :-)
0 Kudos
barsmonster
Beginner
Finally I was able to use both 64-bit and 32-bit Intel C++ compiller in VS2005, but not VS2008. It still does not want to integrate to VS2008 :-S
0 Kudos